We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription drugs - banned list

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription drugs - banned list

Where can I find out which drugs are banned for entry to Dubai? I am currently taking a fertility drug called clomid (clomiphene)and over the counter folic acid, does anyone know if these are on the banned list? I have tried emailing the address given on the foreign office website Dubai page but had no response.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,940 Reviews
from $67.40*
$89.87
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
384 Reviews
from $43.00*
$48.00
Dubai Desert 4x4 Safari with Quad...
440 Reviews
from $80.00*
138 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

moh.gov.ae/admincp/…202007.pdf

Carry all prescription medication in your hand luggage in it's original packaging with your prescription or doctors letter and you will be fine. You are only allowed a 3month maximum supply or enough for your visit. You won't have an issue with Folic Acid either.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,483 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

It is only narcotics or hypnotics and even then the banned list simply prohibts the sale or prescribing of such medications.

The list is not intended to prevent holidaymakers taking prescribed medication - SwissLe's advice is acurate and sound.

And I have asked for your other 2 posts to be removed as they simply duplicate this question

Edited: 4:50 pm, March 09, 2011
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Thank you for your replies. Sorry for the duplicate posts, I am unable to delete them from my computer, no idea how I managed it.

Tried that link and can't get it to work so have emailed MOH though emirates website. it recommends having copy of the prescription but i don't have this.

Here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,483 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

The MOH (if they reply) will ask you to get a copy of the prescription, signed by 3 people in triplicate because they have to follow the 'official' line.

Just get a letter from your doctor explaining what the tablets are and what they are for - that is all you need. Your medication is not on the banned list.

Saltash, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

I am also taking a medicine that is on the banned list. I spoke to the Embassy and they said to take a doctors letter (not a prescription). My surgery will not issue a letter, only a copy prescription. Do you think this is going to be enough?

Here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
47,483 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Yes

Saltash, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Thank you :-)

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Why is codeine listed on both the Narcotics list and controlled drug class B list (see Fait trails International list). If you have a doctors letter for an over the counter preparation of codeine and paracetamol is this ok?

Roger - Australia

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

With a prescription and doctors letter, carried in its original packaging and no more than a 3month/duration of stay quantity you'll be fine. The chances of being stopped are far slimmer than in many US/EU airports.

Codine is also on other countries prohibited substances list, I think due to it's side effects and addictive properties.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription drugs - banned list

Are you talking about Solpadine? If so, you can actually get it here, but only on prescription. I know because it was prescribed for me after disc surgery.

Reply to: Prescription drugs - banned list
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted