We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Sheraton

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Which Sheraton

My husband and I will be stopping off in Dubai for 4 days on our way back to NZ from Europe. We wish to redeem some Starwood points and stay at the Sheraton but we are unsure which one to pick in Dubai. We like to be centrally located for shopping and dining and in nice surroundings. Can anyone help please. Thank you

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Sheraton

Eithe rof the Sheratons as hotels are good BUT - the one down on Jumeriah beach has a range of 30 storey towers being built right behined 24 hrs a day. If you haven't seen pics - just check out the "candid Pics" on the reviews for the Sheraton Jumeriah Beach, Hilton Jumeriah Beach (they are almost next to each other) and the Ritz Carlton. Although mean't to be quiet inside the hotels, I still wouldn't want a holiday in the middle of a building site.

The Sheraton Dubai Creek looked nice when I looked in (I stayed diagionally opposite at the Hilton Dubai Creek) although the pool area is nice its not huge and not overly tropical. But location wise I thought it was good, enabled you to walk to the souks, or the Abra station to get a boat across the creek, and close to Deira City Mall (taxi though).

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Sheraton

Basically you have one end of Dubai to the other to choose from. You would be able to have access to the beach if you stay in the Deira Sheraton but be aware that the journey will probably be a nightmare. Neither really are ideally situated. If, however, I was keen to try out the Jumeirah establishments (viz., Mina A'Salam, Madinat, etc., which really is the place to wine and dine these days), then I would choose the beach resort. This hotel is also closest to the two newest malls in Dubai, Ibn Battuta and Mall of the Emirates, whereas the Deira one only has City Centre near it. Deira hotel is closer to the creek (obviously!) and the soukhs (which - depending whether you want to buy gold and spices, etc.) wouldn't take you that long to see and you will probably find you have a hotel bus that would take you there from the beach. Downside of beach is, of course, as mentioned, construction.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Sheraton

Thank you for your replies. I had booked us into the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach Resort & Towers but now wonder if it is the right choice for us. This is our first time to Dubai so do not know the areas at all. We do not like having to eat at the hotel and prefer to wander down the street to a local restuarant for a meal. We also would like to be within walking distance for good shopping. I am particulary interested in buying fabrics. I guess we would be classed as top end shoppers. Thanks again for any advice you can offer.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Sheraton

Jumeriah Beach Sheraton - you wont be walking distance from any shopping or restaurants (unless neighbouring hotels) as already stated it is one big construction site around the hotels. If you need restaurants/shopping it will be a taxi ride (however shouldn't be 2 expensive). As I said - check out the "candid pics" of the hotels I mentioned and you will get an idea of what is happening around these hotels.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Sheraton

Thank you I think I will change to the Sheraton Dubai Creek, although it seems to have quite mixed reviews I am hoping it will be fine, I will try and get a room higher up so it may be quieter.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,645 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Sheraton

Sorry to confuse you but I wouldn't change.

Dubai is not really a place for walking to anywhere - it's too hot. The Sheraton at the beach is much closer to many things and the traffic is a lot better. You are very close to the marina area, IBN Battuta mall, The Mall of the Emirates, The Madinat complex, The gold and diamond park and Wild Wadi.

Taxis are plentiful, safe and cheap.

From your posting I think the beach area will suit your requirements more. Especially for dining and shopping as you will be much closer to both.

Staying down at the other hotel will put you nearer to Bur Juman mall and Karama but The Sheraton at the beach will run a shuttle to the creek area, soukhs etc. and personally I find them more pleasant during the day.

Yes, there is construction in the area but the same is true of most parts in Dubai. It wont bother you if you ask for a sea facing room.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Sheraton

Bev, don't change. Nothing here is within walking distance and as I said before (which I don't think you have read), stayiing at the Beach puts you near the newest malls and the Jumeirah properties are a short drive away where you will be able to eat. Incidentally, no-one walks anywhere here really unless it's around a mall.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Sheraton

Oh dear, I have changed to the Sheraton Dubai Creek now after reading posts about the noise and construction around the hotels at the beach. Being near a beach is not a requirement to us, we basically wanted to relax in a comfy (cool)room, do some shopping especially for fabrics and eat some nice local food. We generally tend to shy away from the major touristy areas and do not like to sit around a pool for the day. We tend to find being in the centre of a city more exciting and like to soak up the local day to day atmosphere SO (a big so) I am hoping the Sheraton Dubai Creek will be ok for us. Thank you.