We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around Dubai

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around Dubai

Is Dubai somewhere you can easily walk around? Or is it like in the US where no one seems to walk anywhere and driving everywhre is the norm? I know in the heat of the summer A/C cars are a necessity, but we are going this month and it would be nice to walk around to do our sightseeing etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around Dubai

Oh my lets end this question before sonofbb arrives.

When you think Dubai do not think america in any way. Its on another level.

Poeple do not push and barge whatso ever . In shopping centres its just like the uk but with more manners and more quiet i say!

lets say its the easiest place to walk around if anything

no one pushes, you can so sightseeing loads! the big bus company etc.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around Dubai

The city is spread out and there are pockets where u can walk.

But between these areas you would need a car/taxi due to distance.

Deira area the main/old area has the gold souk, riqqa road, muraqabat area - each of these areas has walkways and lots to see on foot.

Karama the cheap shopping area - around the fish market/shopping area - again u can walk.

Bur dubai has the cloth market of meena bazaar right upto the abra (Water taxi) area - good area to walk.

Sheikh zayed road first interchange area - just two rows of buildings - u can walk up and down wild doging between speeding cars. (just joking) they have a walkway there also.

Then jumeirah area has small areas where u have shops and can walk.

The place is flat and you dont have to deal with hills and drops. The weather is super duper right now - mid 20C - scattered cloud and low humidity in the evening. Excellent weather to walk. This will continue till April or early may.

Enjoy.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
211 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around Dubai

Many thanks for your info. We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt and are looking forward to seeing Dubai very much! Thanks again.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around Dubai

Grand hyatt is in deira area on the water front (cornish).... from there you can walk to the fish market to get a glimpse of the local fish and see the quantity.

cross the road and you are at the gold souk.

apart from that there is a span of shops a couple of miles long that sell all stuff right from car stereos to hub caps to clothes to nick nacks...... its quite amusing to see and walk thru.

once you get thru the gold souk, u can mosey over to the creek, catch a water taxi and end up in bur dubai... walk thru the cloth souk, then end up in Karama.... miander thru the fake and cheap stores and finally catch a cab which can get u to the sheikh zayed glass and steel jungle. Stop at fairmont and jump into a bar or club.....

good choice of hotel for a walker.....

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around Dubai

u can do some walking in the malls also...

deira city centre

mercato mall

mall of the emirates

ibn batuta....

just make sure u got cash/credit card to pick up anything that catches your fancy.....

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around Dubai

dont worry about getting lost

just walk ten minutes straight and you will get out of the area

and you can ask for directions - virtually all speak english or will be helpful/willing to direct you.

the weather is great, but just carry a light jersey for the malls and even chill.

be polite and friendly when asking for directions (and ask lots of times, cause some people arent too familiar or forget directions) guarantee you will enjoy the experience.

cheers

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around Dubai

Grand Hyatt is NOT in Deira - that is the Hyatt Regency.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking around Dubai

Your right steve, seems I got the two mixed up.

The only think I can think about walking distance from Grand Hyatt is the creek side park and wafi city (shopping centre and restaurants).

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking around Dubai

ummm - am I in the right city???

Yes it is easy to walk around a shopping mall. And I loved my time in Dubai - but it is one of the most pedestrian unfriendly towns I have come across. Stay at the Hilton Dubai Creek and walk to Deira City Mall is a lesson in madd drivers and build roads with pavements that stop no whjere and no crossing lights (except outside the mall) 2 klms distance that would have been easier to get a taxi - it would have been impossible if you were aged, with children or any disability. Walking down to the old souks and in the old town is much easier cos of the slower traffic and narrower roads. Another example - Shk Zayed rd (which is a fwy really)- stayed at the Shangri La on one side and wanted to go to the Dusit - right across the road. Did it enter the planners minds to build pedestrian brigdes across the road every so often - did it hell. That was a long walk to go effectively 500 metres - in the end got a taxi back.

You can walk around the central city but to go from one place to another it will require a taxi.