We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have concerns about Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
14 posts
Save Topic
Have concerns about Dubai

As great and luxiourious as Dubai sounds, I do have concerns, even guilt about going to a place that will not allow a whole nationallity into their country. I understand how modern and western this place is, but if the official policy is to not allow Israeli nationals into the country, I would have trouble giving them my money.Is it actually the official policy? Does anyone know if it has changed or is changing?

Thank you

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

What are you talking about - the US. Try getting into that place easily lately. A lot of nations have "problems" or "issues" against neighbours. For a while an American going to North Korea was not allowed. And lets not mention the Cuban/US issue. Zimbabwe has problems with UK citizens from time to time because of their leaders perceptions on the UK government. It happens - easily solved- if you object to a regime/country dont go.

14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

There is a difference between having trouble getting places and not being allowed into the country. With Zimbabwe they did not have a stable government and Civil war has been present for a long time. My point is that Dubai has never been in conflict with Israel, nor itself and has no good reason other than its own discrimination. Yes, Arabs from other countries may be screened and questioned more closely when going to Israel, but denying entry to a whole nationality is unheard of. Maybe this should be directed to Dubai itself, change an old prejudice if you really want to become the destination your capable of being. I myself, would love to go to Dubai, but I have trouble accpeting the fact that if I had a Jewish sounding name that I would not be let into the country. By the way, when's the last time Cuba or Zimbabwe been considered a Western tourist destination?

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

Go to Israel instead then.

Or try and resurrect Martin Luther King to make another stand.

Level Contributor
247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

Stay where you are then. Nobody is forcing you to go. It is not exactly a picnic getting into where you are.

14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

No one is actually bothering to read my post, instead they chose words and rearrange them as they like. I wouldn't be on this board if I didn't want to go. All I want is some answers to the question. Yes I want to go, but I am wondering if this policy is inforced/is official policy and if it is, are there any plans for it to change. Yes I know espically coming from the Middle East coming to America can be hassle, but the difference is a majority of the people coming from the region do get through customs with no more than getting a bag checked and walking thorugh a metal detector, it is quite different than having an offical policy to deny entry to anyone of a certain nationality. I am not trying to be inflammatory I am only wondering because obviously I do have interest in Dubai or else I would not be on this board. I am just wondering, not about the people of the emirate or the people in the region, rather those who are in charge of such things.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

Just for info Cuba is considered a popular tourist destination in the West - for those of us Westerners that are allowed to go.

Dubai
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

"........ but I am wondering if this policy is inforced/is official policy and if it is, are there any plans for it to change."

- A question I would ask your Embassy or

email: http://www.dubai.ae/index.en.htm

"There is a difference between having trouble getting places and not being allowed into the country."

- A lot of people are having trouble getting

into the USA or not beeing allowed.

"By the way, when's the last time Cuba or Zimbabwe been considered a Western tourist destination?"

- Zimbabwe is a minor European destination,

BUT Cuba is big business in the European

tourist industry!

"I myself, would love to go to Dubai, but I have trouble accpeting the fact that if I had a Jewish sounding name that I would not be let into the country."

- Try entering any other Arab Country with a

Jewish Passport!! Insallah

"I would have trouble giving them my money."

- I'm sure their are lots of other Countrys

which would take your money.

Italy
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

Cuba is a hugely popular holiday destination with wsterners and they have no problems getting in.

How many cubans can holiday in the USA?

as for it being a simple thing to get into the usa,even us Brits who are Mr Bush's" best mates" have to stand in huge lines and answer smarmy rude custom officials who ofetn sneer at you and mumble 2 words in broken English before half heartedly letting you in.

At least in Dubai you can pay and skip the lines with the mahaba service.

If you have scruples about their policies then simply don't go. I have scruples about Mr Bush and his policies but I still visit the USA.

If I were to stop and consider what he has done then I probably would never visit Mickey ever again.

Dubai
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

Many Muslim countries do not recognize Israel and once they do not recognize an entity, How can they admit a passport holder of that non-entity (in their books though)to enter in their country??? Admitting an Israeli passport as a means to enter their country without recognizing Israel does not make sense...does it??? It is as simple as that! If they do, it would amount to recognizing that country! It is OK if your money is spent on killing the palestinians - overtly and covertly! And you dont have a guilt about that whole nationality displacing a whole nation - called Palestine!

14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have concerns about Dubai

And I thought Americans were rude. Shukran thank you for your informative and very polite post. As for everyone else just stop espically the last poster, because getting into the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and whose fault it is, is not a a discussion to have on this site, nor is it one that will get decided anytime soon. Not once did I defend US foreign policy in my post, nor really Israel's for that matter all I am saying is fact. Please grow up and please do not turn this into an arguement.