We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

OK So I am travelling to Bangkok but have to go through Dubai first and as you can tell from the Topic title I am flying Emirates.

I have been checking the Baggage Allowance that I am allowed and here is what I have been told on the Website.

Standard Allowance: 30Kg

Now is this 30Kg for one bag or is it 30Kg total. (Eg, 2 bags at 15kg Each)

I am also allowed a 7Kg Carry-On Luggage.

Just wondering because Dubai doesnt allow for any luggage more than 32Kg in or out of the country.

Thank You for any help =)

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
278 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

I am travelling with emirates and I am going to load up each bag no more than 20Kg. In my experience all flights are funny when it gets over 20KG as you have to think of the baggage staff. they usually tag it with a hotspot sticker. I even struggle with 20KG. I have found emirates very helpful so just give them a phone.

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

Just returned from Dubai. allowance is 30kg economy and 40 business.

However I think the baggage handlers are only supposed to handle a certain weight, around 25kg? so I used 2 cases to make up the allowance. But don't try to put 30 in each case! Better for you to handle as well

Winchester, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

thanks. I wouldnt put 30kg in each as it says the limit is 30kg. If i had 2 bags at 30k ea that would be 60kg. =)

So I am just wondering with a 30kg Limit can I use 2 bags at 15K each?

Winchester, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

sorry for the double post.

Just phoned Emirates and they told me because it is a weight allowance not a piece allowance, you can have as many pieces as you like as long as there total weight together is 30Kg. =)

Hope this helps anyone else who was wondering the same as me. =)

Thanks for the help guys and girls.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

Each bag should not exceed 32kgs.

If it does, you could be asked to repack.

Any bag that weighs more than 23kgs must have a heavy bag tag.

These are for the health and safety of the baggage handlers.

Economy has a free baggage allowance of 30kgs and then 40 for business and 50 for first.

Your also allowed to take a bag into the cabin which should weigh no more than 7kgs.

If you split your stuff into two bags, you will also lose 5 to 7 kgs for the extra suitcase.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

I was so chuffed when I flew B.Class and noticed the allowance was 40kg, all the shoes were packed... On arrival at BHX I was asked to unpack and remove some goods, I said I only have 39kg and I'm allowed 40Kg.. WRONG as H&D says no case can exceed 32Kg..

One day I will manage to travel light.... 15 more sleeps and counting before we go....

Winchester, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

If you split your stuff into two bags, you will also lose 5 to 7 kgs for the extra suitcase. - Hot&Dusty

By this do you mean due to the weight of the extra suitcase itself right? Not from the Allowance.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

Hi Blodghoul

This is getting to be harder work than carrying the bags -your allowance is 30 kilos gross no matter how many bags you use and that will include the tare weight of all of the bags. Just to make it even clearer when you heave them all or one on to the scales the needle must not go past 30 k Then you have another up to 7k for your carry on bag but it must fit into the airline dimensions

Regards

Doug

Winchester, England
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

Thats what I thought 'cos that is what the lady on the phone told me =)

Just what Hot&Dusty threw me a bit =)

Everything is cool now. Thanks for all the help.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance Help Please! =)

yes

the extra weight of the second bage is considered part of the allowance.

so if you are only carrying 30kgs, its pointless to have two suitcases......

Unless for personal comfort you prefer to have two bags and pack everything neatly.... and not strain carrying heavy stuff.

Edited: 3:54 pm, June 27, 2010