We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Dreams - part 3

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,170 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai Dreams - part 3

Hi all

Back from my trip to Dubai and caught up on The 2 Dubai Dreams progs that I'd missed.

The tone of both of these progs had, I thought, shifted from the tone of the previous 2 and focused more on certain individuals. Part 4 will follow in another post.

Part 3 concerned His Excellency Mohamed Ali Alabbar (that's his full name for Kathylee's benefit coz she asked). Chairman of Emaar and Director General of the Department of Trade and Development amongst several other things. This guy has toes in so many pies never mind fingers.

Seems a bit of a control freak who practices the habit of taking calls to hold meetings within meetings with no one daring to tell him to stop it. Several shots of him berating staff and clients (architects etc.) for not completing work in the way he wanted it done. More shots of very scared whey faced people hanging on his every word and secretly praying that he liked their ideas.

Exterior and interior shots of his house just on the outskirts of Dubai which was the size of an hotel with its own small golf course. He said he thanks God every time he opens the gates to his drive for brining him such good fortune.

In general he seemed a likeable guy and has clearly risen from small beginnings becasue he talked about living in the downtown area when he was smaller and about the thril he would get if anyone related to or working for the Sheikh or his family would drive by.

He is also clearly a favourite of the Boss Man Sheikh and follows the 'if we build it they will come' school of thought.

He is very excited about the prospects for Dubai and wants it to rival New York for buildings but hopefully not attitudes. He was a little more honest about the troubles in the Middle East and said that he hoped Dubai would be spared

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai Dreams - part 3

How was ur trip

whats the best company to use to get to dubai from liverpool/manchester