We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Dubai

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Dubai

I'm thinking of booking Fly Dubai from DXB to AMM. Can anyone give me some info on this airline? Reliability, etc?

Thanks!!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Dubai

I haven't used them yet but they are part of Emirates if that gives you any reassurance.

Dubai
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Dubai

have only heard good things about them - brand new planes, good staff, on time and well priced!! The alternative is Air Arabia but that will mean going to Sharjah.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Dubai

They have brand new 737-800s (currently have an order placed with Boeing for another 50ish planes) and operate from Terminal 2 which has bus links from the other terminals.

It's the typical low cost model, so you will have to pay to reserve your seat and for food onboard. All prices seemed reasonable (I think it was around 5AED for seat reservation). The seats are similar to those on Ryanair and Air Berlin in that the seat pocket is at the top of the seat to give you that feeling of more room than there actually is.

An airline with ambition. They are not part of Emirates Group but have been 'significantly assisted' by them - whatever that means in the UAE ;)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
46 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Dubai

Hi. We are likewise thinking about using FlyDubai between Dubai and Doha, and between Dubai and Muscat. Are there any more recent thoughts on using this airline? Their fares seem very good.

Thanks.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Dubai

Hi bhijay

I have flown with FlyDubai on 2 return flights between Dubai and Damascus (in April); and Dubai and Beirut (in May). Have had no problem whatsoever with the flights.

As is the usual with a low cost carrier, you have to pay extra for:

1) seat reservation (front seats at AED10 if I'm not mistaken, others at AED5);

2) on board meal (more expensive obviously but not exactly a rip off, ;-) and there were some passengers who were having their snacks bought on the ground);

3) checked-in luggage (free hand luggage allowance is 10kg). If you plan to have checked-in luggage, pay online in advance. It's cheaper. By the way, if your hand luggage looks heavy, they will probably check it for weight. (They have a weight scale just after check-in and before passport control at Terminal 2 - I have seen people being asked to go back to check in their luggage).

Legroom is not bad either (I'm 182cm tall). No in-flight entertainment. No delays, no cancellations (based on my experience only).

I have also flown with AirArabia from Sharjah to Amman and though the service is similar, I personally prefer FlyDubai simply because the aircrafts are newer (at least I think so!) and easy access for me as I live in Dubai. Terminal 2 is also not as busy as Sharjah Airport. The last time I travelled through Terminal 2, I was already in a taxi heading home within 10 minutes of landing (granted I only had a hand luggage with me and I have the e-gate card). If you have checked-in luggage it shouldn't take long either, probably around 15 mins.

Terminal 2 itself is small. Very limited duty free. Just one duty free shop, if I'm not mistaken, inside the departure hall. There are 4 or 5 food outlets.

If you know what to expect of a low cost carrier, then I don't think you'd have any problem with FlyDubai.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Edited: 11:50 pm, July 08, 2010
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Dubai

I've heard nothing but good things about FlyDubai.

They originally were due to start operations from the new Dubai airport (JXB) but started operations a year ago in T2 of DXB - the rumour is they will be one of the first airlines into JXB, and they now state JXB as their base.

The connection between them and Emirates is they both have the same Chairman, Sheik Ahmed.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
46 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly Dubai

Thanks very much for this information on FlyDubai. Very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Baku, Azerbaijan
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly Dubai

DO NOT fly this AIRLINE!!!! I am a seasoned traveler and I have flown some of the world's worst airlines (to give you a clue, I consider Aeroflot to be a "top tier" carrier). Fly Dubai has good planes and a reasonable in flight experience, but there's where the accolades stop. The customer service of this airline is far and away the world's worst. Here are just three examples:

1) I booked a roundtrip ticket on this airline from Baku, Azerbaijan to Kathmandu, Nepal (connecting through Dubai). The route is advertised on their website and runs once a week. The front leg went fine, but while I was in Nepal, they decided to change the connecting flight time to "summer hours" with no notice. As such, when I arrived in Dubai to make my connection, I was told that the flight had already left. As a result, I had to stay overnight in Dubai to await the next flight to Baku more than 24 hours later. Not only did Fly Dubai refuse to compensate me for the hotel, they wouldn't even allow me to speak to a manager. "He's too busy" was the reply at the terminal. When I finally did get to Baku, I filed a complaint on the airline's website. I was told I would get a response within two business days. That was in March. Nothing yet despite 5 follow up emails, a few phonecalls, and an email directly to the company's COO Kenneth Giles. I'm out about $300 because this airline decided to sell me a round trip ticket and then arbitrarily changed the flight times.;

2) Another friend flew on this airline and they lost all of his luggage. He had just purchased about three or four new business suits, so the luggage was valuable. He has his luggage tags and provided the airline with the numbers. That was in December. It is now July and he has received only one responsive email stating that they are "researching the matter". They refuse to compensate him.

3) A second friend booked a flight to Dubai which the airline (again arbitrarily) canceled for internal reasons. They refuse to refund her ticket and instead will only offer her a voucher for a future flight on their airline. When she explained that she was only in the region temporarily and did not expect another chance to fly on their airline, she was told that this was not the airline's concern.

Look, I know people only post on these sites when bad things happen and you have to take everything with a grain of salt. The thing is, every airline will have one-off problems. It just happens. It's how these problems are dealt with that matters. When the airline has no mechanism or desire to deal with disgruntled customers, there are much bigger issues at play. I would never write about a broken seat-back or a bad in-flight meal. That stuff's arbitrary. Unapologetic nonsense like the above is not. It's a systemic problem that needs to be addressed. Until this airline works out the kinks, I think it's best to avoid it.

Edited: 6:28 am, July 22, 2010
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly Dubai

they sucks ! specialllllllyy their stuffs on ground !!!!!

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly Dubai

The thing is that there will always be good stories and bad stories. I could relate a tale of one particular journey to Morocco with Emirates that was a nightmare - part of our party being bumped off and held back in Dubai without notice for 24 hours, despite having checked in only five minutes after the people who got through. Lack of information, being treated like cattle, etc. and the piece de resistance - those of us who got on the flight were split up when some were in economy (as booked) and others got upgraded at the gate!!!

I just think it's luck of the draw. I have flown Garuda - an airline that many slate - and found them to be excellent. South China Airlines is supposed to be dire, but if you check the reports, many say it's not at all and they have been very happy with everything.