We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Dreams

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai Dreams

There is a new docusoap starting on BBC2 this week. Its all about what you ex-pats get up to in Dubai. Apparently we are going to follow some of your "rather colourful lives"!

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai Dreams

How wonderful. We want a weekly synopsis!

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai Dreams

Couple of write-ups:

Thirty years ago Dubai was a desert settlement. Now it's one of the world's fastest-growing cities, with half its population involved in building luxury properties such as those on Palme Jumeirah, a man-made island shaped like a palm tree that's visible from space. This first programme in a six-part series looking behind its glossy image follows South African Paul Velasco, the picture editor on Dubai's daily Englishlanguage newspaper, Gulf News. He feels that government restrictions mean it's merely "a newsletter for the Emirates" rather than a proper paper, and as he goes about his work, it's clear that the media is heavily controlled. The film is an interesting snapshot of what Dubai is like - although it's hard not to be distracted by Paul's colleague Mona, who has the most extraordinary swooping monobrow.

A new series which looks behind the glitz and glamour of Dubai. Gulf News photographer Paul Velasco is new to the Arab world and has to get used to reporting in a country that, despite appearing very western, exercises strict control of the press. When getting Beckham on the newspaper's front page is classed as a major victory his disillusionment with the place begins to grow.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai Dreams

Tonight (Monday) at 8 o clock, BBC2 for anyone interested...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
622 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai Dreams

Did anyone watch it? Or better yet, record it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai Dreams

Can you get BBC2 there then?

Bolton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai Dreams

shame I'm at work would have been interested to see that. Will set my Sky + up for future episodes.

Mel, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai Dreams

It was quite interesting, if slightly superficial. The journalist hinted at the harsh conditions for blue collar expats on building sites but didn't develop his thoughts. It would be fasinating to follow their stories. Also touched on the child camel jockeys but again only in passing.

The journalist seemed quite suprised at the lack of freedom he has in reporting stories. Are all expats so underprepared when they arrive in Dubai??? After a brief flick through the lonely planet guide I could have told him the conditions he would face. We have had similar problems at my work in Oz. We attract a lot of professionals from the UK (as I was once) and sometimes they only last a couple of months saying it wasn't what they expected. With the huge amount of info on the net and in print you would think people would take a bit of responsibility if they are travelling half way round the world for a job!!

UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai Dreams

Jaky's first synopsis was spot on. Those eyebrows were mesmerisingly spooky! ...... There was an article in the Sunday Times last week about the child camel jockeys.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai Dreams

Haven't seen it, but have it being recorded for me in the UK. What I really have to wonder about is the fact that this man is from SA, of all places! Now, there's somewhere where freedom really was an issue not that long ago. Yes, there are most certainly restrictions here, but they are beginning to lighten up. I even read an article in a Khaleej Times supplement at the weekend about Chinese prostitutes.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai Dreams

Any coupons for discount Jaky.......??