We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

hello

I know ive asked similar question before but anyway.

we are looking to book a nice restaurant on the saturday night and was wondering what hotel you recommend for a meal (any type) for £80 in total with drinks? is this possible in one of the posher hotels like the ritz, hilton or the jbh ? or is that far too low a budget for these hotels? i have looked on timeout dubai but its only giving details of meal deals over ramadan not in nov.

suppose i could wait until a few days before but if any1 can recommend somewhere that would be great.

thankyou

p.s .. is thursday a bad day to visit wild wadi? we have planned that we will go to ww on the thurs, desert trip on the friday and the tea in the burj on sunday.

xx

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

Son ofBB

Have you been to Sphinx??? I can't imagine anything less like a glorified pizzeria and they don't have sushi or curry on the menu.

Jane - on their set package you'll get 3 courses plus coffee and a half bottle of wine per person for about £30.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

I agree! I'd say it's a pretty top notch restaurant.

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

I was referring to the use of the words "fusion" and "eclectic" rather than the status of specific establishments. Having said that, my description fits Teatro because it serves sushi, pizza, and curry, albeit in "glorified" surroundings.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

Interestingly, having eaten at both several times and being a fan of both, I would never put them in the same bracket. I would certainly say that Teatro is fusion with all the different types of cuisine but I am not quite sure where I would "file" Sphinx. Teatro and Spectrum on One are similar. Perhaps Sphinx would be better described as international? I can see the eclectic bit. I don't remember ever seeing pizza on their menu, but they have probably changed it since I was last there.

uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

hello

thanks for all your help..

sonofbb thanks for your help too.. its good advice.. i am just waiting for the 'jokes ' to arrive!

feel like a bit of a pauper with my small £80 budget.. were not the kind of people to want to spend £80 each on a mushroom and a lettuce leaf (too fancy i mean) and we have had gorgeous meals over here for this price.. but being in dubai you feel like you have to push the boat out..

we may make an exception to the verre restaurant but only cause gordon ramsey owns it !

sphinx sounds good if we can find it..

does this serve arabian food? cause we would like to try this seen as its the typical food isnt it? am i right?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

Jaky's right Sphinx is probably best described as International and I don't recall seeing anything Arabian on the menu.

It's easy to find. ask the taxi driver to take you to Wafi Pyramids and Sphinx is on the second floor. I'll be there on the Tuesday night of my trip.

uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

stadybelle

i have finally managed to use my head and look at the reviews on timeout which i should have done ages ago!

the spectrum on one has a great review but i think its on about the friday brunch.. free flowing sparkly wine.!

we wont be going on a friday but a sat night.

thanks for your recommendations every1

xx

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

Just because the review was about Friday brunch doesn't mean you can't do as Stadium Belle suggested. It is a great place and a great deal - every night.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

Jane, have a look on here for previous threads on Arabic food. We have made quite a few recommendations. One very good one is Reem Al Bawadi (hey, everyone I remembered the name!). It's on the Jumeirah Road, next to HSBC Bank. It's not licenced (i.e., no booze), but the food, decor, atmosphere is excellent and you will have loads of change from eighty squid to carry over to a bigger night out!

Dubai
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Back to restaurants again... can anyone recommend a nice...

Ate at spectrum last night. Booked for 7.30, but didnt order til after eight and still got the 41% discount off food

To put it into context we ate (3 people)

Starter for 2 to share (crabs legs, prawns, mussels, scallops, clams, oysters-all so so fresh)

Sezchuan Prawns

Slow roasted margret of duck

Arabic shish tawook

Spicy Prawn Curry

Spiced apple cake

2x tennesse coffees (jack daniels and amaretto)

3 corona's, one glass white wine

Total bill cost AED450 after the discount for 3 people (roughly GBP69 for the three of us and includes a bit of alcohol)

Service was unbelievable and I totally recommend you try it.

The Friday brunch is fantastic but you need to book at least 2 weeks in advance. 288DHS all in, 12-3, all you can eat and drink, includes all the moet you can drink (you wont drink a quarter of your glass before they top you up!) and fantastic food from oysters and lobster to chinese, indian, suishi etc etc. Definitely worth the money-to put it into context, a bottle of Moet costs AED490 (GBP 75) to buy in Spectrum. For 40 quid a head you can drink as much as you can manage-a reckon you can easily get through 2/3 bottles.