We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car in Dubai

Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car in Dubai

I'd like pretty much the experience of renting a car in Chile and Argentina. It's cheaper than tours group and gives you lot of freedom.

I'm wondering if the same happens in Dubai too. Can I go to the desert by myself in a 4WD? What about parking in the streets?

My hotel has its own parking, I think.

Thanks for any help.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

If you are talking about going off-road into the desert then you should never do it alone - even if you are an experienced desert driver.

As for driving in the city of Dubai, there was another recent thread about this which you will find if you do a search. Dubai is full of terrible drivers who don't know or don't observe normal rules of the road such as sticking to your lane or using indicators. I wouldn't advise anybody to hire a car here until after they've seen the traffic and the standard of driving so they have an idea what they are letting themselves in for.

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

i agree, i wouuldnt hire a hire until you are there and you can see for yourself what the driving is like. we do always hire a car but tend to use that at the marina end of town and never drive to downtown as for one its difficult to find parking and its also pretty scary at times. what we have done in the past is park the car at dubai mall and catch a cab from there and back say if we want to visit the creek etc. having a car is useful for us simply because we control over your own timings and is cheaper in some ways but also theres something about navigating your own way around a new place. as sad as we are this is our little "adventure" ...ps dont think of taking your own car into the desert esp on your own.

you can hire a car from euro car at JBH and that desk is open 24 hours so great for drop off and pick up.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

I'm with them, I wouldn't do it. It can be a ngiht mare trying to get from a to b if you don't know exactly where you're going. Taxi's are so cheap it's not even funny. The traffic can be bad, but not so much now a days. If you miss your exit it's not that easy to get back there. Why put yourself through and you'll save heaps with just using taxis everywhere.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

Hiring a taxi for your daily trips is much cheaper than renting a car. Since half the expats have left Dubai, catching a taxi is of no problem anymore.

Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

thank you all for your comments. I will try to give up the idea of hiring a car, despite the facilities it should bring me like travalling around. but, on the other hand, I will seek no problem because I just want to relax and have a good time with my family.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

Please consider again!

I have to echo what has been said above about not driving into the desert on your own.

But IMO hiring a small car (like Toyota Yaris) is much better value for money than using taxis. Your only problem will be the parking fees at some of the places you want to visit, but I still reckon it is cheaper than taxis. I find Dubai taxis are very expensive. It also gives you flexibility to go to see some interesting parts of other Emirates (I recommend you spend a day exploring Sharjah if you are staying in Dubai for a few days).

The driving standards in UAE leave a lot to be desired. But I think it is actually better to drive at your own pace than if you are a passenger in a taxi winding through the traffic at high speed.

7. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:31 pm, January 09, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

I don't find the driving much more hideous than any european city center, but then I've driven in parts of India which have a reputation for being totally out of bounds but really enjoyed it!

I would ensure that your hire company has a reasonable excess level, if you are under 25 some give quotes based on a £1000 excess etc.

Going out into the desert without training in a 4X4 is totally out of the question.

I would also point out that most sat-nav systems are pretty useless in Dubai as it's evolving every day.

Brazil
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

well, I don't want to take a lot of risks. I would love to take the car and, for instance, go to Abu Dabi. but I will give this idea up for a while because of the inumerous advices. Besides that, I don't have an international drive licence.

But I am confused about the taxis: are they cheap or expensive? the informations are inconsistents.

What about the metro, will it help a tourist when opened or is it restrict to areas without tourist interest?

I will have to find out a Dubai map in which I could find all the tourist attractions so I will be able to decise what means of transportation I will need.

birmingham
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car in Dubai

hi,just come back from dubai and i hired a car for 7 days with Dimond Lease. Got a vary good price. You can neg at it is not very bust at the moment.

there was very little traffic which made driving very easy and it's cheaper and offers more flexabilty.