We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Nov 2005

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Dubai Nov 2005

Hey all,

Ok so here goes. I'm a single male, 29 years old. I'm mentally younger than my age although i'm mature enough to appreciate different cultures. I'm coming to Dubai for the first time at the middle of October and am looking to learn a lot about Dubai life and the city. Oh by the way, i'm from the UK!

I'm not going to ask about safety etc because i've read a lot about this over the last few months and know this is not an issue. I'm hoping to do my PADI course out there and generally going to meet people and enjoy the local clubs, scenery and just relax basically. I'm hoping to hear from anyone who wants to get in touch (either locals or other) to share a few thoughts and get together for a beer whilst i am there. Part of my holiday will be working but i'm up for meeting up with whoever to just experience a bit of Dubai and basically just a bit of occasional company whilst i am there.

I already have a few people to meet which i have met through the net in the last few months but would be good to hear from you.

Cheers all! See you there!

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

Sorry about the typo! I'm coming to Dubai at the middle of NOVEMBER 2005 - i'll be there about November 14th to be precise!

Cheers - sorry i've had to add another post to this!

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

Axel

U can do padi basic open water thru Al Boom.

http://www.alboomdiving.com/home.html

there is a discount if you join in a group of four. The best way to get partners is advertise on http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/dub/

I did my basic open water padi certification and may go in for advanced soon.

there are some other who do padi courses in Fujairah - about 2hrs drive from Dubai. Its also where you have better dive sites and more fish. Al boom also has a dive shop there in Al Aqua beach resort and part of the open water ceritification includes two dives there.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

Nov the water should be just great.

It may become a bit chill down there, but think it will still be bearable.

at the moment the temp is not predictable.... Sept is generally the hottest month, but at the moment its starting to get a bit colder.

So dont be surprised if Nov is chilly...

Dive equipment isn’t cheap out here. You may want to check if you can purchase your stuff in the U.K and claim vat rebate.

Out here wet suites cost about AED.800 TO 1000. Tanks also in the AED800 range. Good regulator would be at least Dhs.1200. BCD would be about Aed.700.

Compare prices and see if you can get a steal.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

fyi - course include equipment, just wanted to point out the possibility of picking up stuff in the u.k.

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

Hi Hot&Dusty,

Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated.

I will follow up your link as i'm very interested in the prices of such courses.

As far as purchasing gear though, i think i'm just going to go with the inclusive equipment at the moment. I'm in no particular hurry to purchase gear of my own just yet.

I will look into advertising for a team effort if there is anyone with the same desires as me! It would be hadny if i can arrange this cheaper although it still won't put me off going with the advertised price.

Thanks again. I'll keep you informed!

Axel

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

fyi - alboom cost me Dhs.1300 for the basic open water diver course - as mentioned that certifies you upto 18meter.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai Nov 2005

yup keep us posted and if you need any help, just post.

there are a few internet cafe in bur dubai - on bank street at the close to abn amro bank.

also on sheikh zayed road at the first interchange - near towers rotana...or along that stretch (its about a 1km stretch)