We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help which area do I book accomodation

Scotland
6 posts
Save Topic
Help which area do I book accomodation

Please could you help!!! Accomodation in Dubai

Been searching the net looking at hotels for a stop over next year in july.I will be travelling with my freind and will be heading for the shops till we drop.I was looking for the following, could anyone help? There is so much area's to stay and pick from!!!

we are really looking for Easy access to bargain shopping heaven (dont mind if we have to take a small taxi ride, just don't want to end up to far from shops.

At the same time dont want to be bang in the middle of a city?

Could anyone recommend any area or hotel's which would suit this? I know i'm asking for quite alot.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

The shops that your probably after are all in malls throughtout the city but not by the beach.

There is no central location, as they are all scattered about, as is Dubai, if you are city based you will be able to get round easily, taxis are quite cheap.

Clothes are not cheap especially designer ones they are on par minus the vat than the UK. Some people think they are more expensive, ive never found a bargain at normal price, in the sales yes.

Dubai is a very rich place, we are the poor relations, the arabs are dripping in it. The expats arent doing badly either.

However if your budget is to get designer clothes then there will be plenty of choice but it will be current season, some shops in the summer do have good sales. But ive not come across the tops ones giving it away.

Ive not come across something similar to discount shopping like TKMAX but i may be wrong the experts will tell you.

I understand the markets which i think are by the creek sell the fakes. However have never been

Gold is the bargain in Dubai.

Good location in my opinion is Sheik Zayed Road to get around, but again mainly hotels, commerical district , Emirates Tower Hotel have a fab mall, but as said it is expensive you have gucci , cartier etc in there.

Grand Hyatt ( nice pool) i understand is near the Wafi mall, but the Wafi is similar to malls in the Uk, branded clothing. Im sure Dubai has next and debenhams or something similar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

Hi Fifi from Scotland. What particular bargains are you looking for?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

Stay in Karama.

Dubai is no place for bargain shopping. UNLESS you are here for the shopping festival, or the Ikea sale- but i dont think you would benefit from that :)

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

Shopping here is only cheap when we get the sales, HOWEVER, we do have a store called Sana Fashions and every so often you can pick up the odd bit in the there. There's also Eurobrands which is quite good too.

Scotland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

Thanks ever so much everyone for all your reply's.

Grand Hyatt was one of the hotels, I could get a deal on but was a bit worried I would be a bit out of my league there? I believe this is beside the creek.Would this not be too far away from reasonable priced restaurant ?

I was also looking at the Metropolitan (Sheikh Zayed) hotel has anyone got any comments on this hotel?

It would really be gold and probably fakes, I would be having a spree on. I'm afraid I will be the poor relation and will not have a spare grand for a handbag i'm afraid...

Is fakes ok to buy there, I had heard you werent allowed to buy them? Is this true....

Thanks again everonexxx

Scotland
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

I do appologise for my spellingxx

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

What league do you place yourself in to worry about staying at the Hyatt? If you've paid, you're the same as everyone else.

What do you class as a "reasonable priced" restaurant?

Taxis to get around are relatively cheap so do not worry about transport. The location of the Grand Hyatt is ideal for those wanting to flit between Bur Dubai and Jumeirah. It's very close to Karama where you can go for the fakes. Type Karama in the search box above and click Go.

It is illegal to buy fakes but who is going to check?

The Metropolitan will be reasonably comfortable - it's not in the "same league" as the Grand Hyatt but it's pleasant enough (and you will find the restaurants and bars more down to earth and cheaper!).

For tips on restaurants and ideas of prices search for the web site of Time Out Dubai.

fife scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

Hi,I'm just back from Dubai and there is not much in the way of bargain shopping,better spending your money on a better hotel.I wouldn't advise the Metropolitan Hotel as its a bit out of the way on Sheikh Zayed Road you would probably be better nearer the likes of Towers Rotana or Crowne Plaza on Sheikh Zayed Road as there is more Bars and Dining in this area.The hotels in this area will take you to the beach if that is your thing but in July you probably wont get outdoors much

Scotland
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

Just the Hyatt look's so glam. Think I will probably go for this one though(do Dubai in style)... If you look on the Hyatt website the same hotel room dates etc is bout 3 thousand pounds to stay there. I have had a look on a few internet deal sites and is only £500.

That was why the league thing came into it...

Reasonable meal out would probably be about £80 for me and my pals evening meal.

Thanks ever so much for all the informationxxx

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help which area do I book accomodation

You're going on holiday. Why are you hesitating? Do something out of the ordinary. Hotels here that are "posh" are not like the ones in other countries where even the staff are snobs. You will not feel out of place and at least you will go home feeling like you have done something really different (and, hopefully, out of this world!). Don't think about it anymore, just do it. Now, do you mean eighty quid for two or for more?