We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

hello

looking at the home office website dubai is a 'high threat' risk of terrorism..

i know people are going to say.. 'so is london' and i know this is true but i havent booked a break to london i have booked dubai so that is irrelevant.

we are thinking about cancelling our trip because of the threat but it would be a shame cause we were relaly looknig forward to it..

is the dune safari dangerous cause it says so on the website..i have got horrible visions of getting kidknapped when we are out ni the dessert. i know i am being a bit irrational but the world has gone crazy !

if we do decide to go ahead what kind of clothes is ok when we are eating out in the evening at the hotels?

are low cut tops, skirts knee level acceptable?

thanks for any advice

Platinum Heritage Luxury Tours and Safaris
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Safaris
Dubai Safaris Tour
Biking Trails, Off-Road & ATV Trails, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours, Safaris
Fun Time Dubai
City Tours, Safaris
uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

sorry for the bad spelling. i am writing this in a hurry.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

I really doubt that you have anything to worry about.

And i have never heard of anyone being kidnapped on a desert safari, ever, in my 20 years here.

The chances of anything happening are incredibly slim here, no more so than London- as you say. Even less!

Low cut tops and mid-length skirts are fine. Even less clothing is required in hotel, although i always cover as much as i can as i do not appreciate the attention you get otherwise.

You will have a great time- when are you thinking of coming.

(and about those places which rate risk factor, keep in mind that Dubai is listed as safer than NYC or London on Interpol)

Mentioned in this post
uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

hello

thanks for your reply..

feel bit better now..

we are coming in november just after ramadan.

looking forward to the dune bashing but we are going to book with arabian adventures cause heard they were safe and professional. have you ever done this trip? do travel go with a convoy of other jeeps?

also going to go to wild wadi and tea at the burj.

xx

uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

sorry again!

i meant when you go on the dune safari do you travel in a convoy of other vehicles?

thanks in advance.

we are probably still going just wanted some reassurance.

UK
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

Most places on the fco website have a high threat risk if you have a sneaky peek around.

I feel safer in the U.A.E than most of Europe (ask yourself if you'd give getting on a plane to Spain a 2nd thought, the answer is probably no despite the loss of life over the years due to terrorism) and the planes even climb from 37,000 ft to 40,000ft when you fly over Iraq -lol

The Dune safari safety warnings are due to medical issues rather than terrorism. I don't think they kidnap blonde white women to sell as slaves to rich sheikhs in real life even if they do have a dazzling smile (maybe the 4 kids put them off) -lol :0)

And clothes are fine, infact pretty compulsary really. I think there is low cut and low cut, a low cut with a B cup inside is a world away from a low cut with a FF bulging over the top isnt it.

There are loads and loads of posts about acceptable dress for just about every occasion and safety should give you all the info you need.

Go, enjoy! you'll love it!

:0)

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Iraq
Iraq
Middle East
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

Arabian Adventures have been organising those tours for ages, and they are always a blast.. I have been several times. Great great fun.

Also- try Net Tours..

Mentioned in this post
Arabian Adventures
Arabian Adventures
3,656 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
UK
Level Contributor
541 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

Usually about 30 4x4's hun - no problems, really - check out Arabian Adventures they are good and safe, well maintained vehicles and they carry bottled water in a fridge.

:0)

Mentioned in this post
Arabian Adventures
Arabian Adventures
3,656 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

Jane, I am so sorry that you are so worried about this. I have lived here for almost eight years now. I have written about this before so anyone who has read this before, please forgive me, but I used to live in Kingston and travel into London every day. All through the IRA campaigns, etc. That was far more nervewracking and inconvenient than anything I have ever, ever experienced here. You really have nothing whatsoever to worry about. I have to say that I couldn't help but smile when I read that desert safaris are high risk and that you were recommended not to go! I must tell my ex who was a Safari Manager this! I actually am quite gobsmacked by it! I can understand, however, that when you are thousands of miles away and you read this type of thing, it is scarey.

Do use the search engine on here to look up dress codes, security, terrorism and you can read back on a lot that we have written. I hope that this goes some way to reassure you. If you have any more questions, please come back and let us know.

Please, please do not cancel your holiday. You will be very pleasantly surprised by your trip here, I am sure.

uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

hello

thanks for all the replies.. i do feel reassured now and you are right when you mentioned 'would i think twice about getting on a plane to spain' because i wouldnt think twice about it even though spain has had trouble.

think its just cause its a muslim country and i seem to associate this with terrorism which is wrong i know but i cant help it ..!

xx

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how safe is dubai from terrorism? and when going out to...

We have had this question on the London forum many times and apparently the most dangerous part of your trip is driving from home to the airport! I ve booked a holiday to Dubai and didnt think twice about it.