We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best - Emirates or BA?

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Which is best - Emirates or BA?

I am trying 2 decide which airline to go with between Emirates and British Airways & hoping some of you have used both airlines and can recommend whichever one. (Economy/cattle class for us Im afraid!)

Both have similar flight times that we wanted (ie arriving in Dubai around 7.30am and returning at 2am), Emirates option slightly cheaper by £40 or so.

We will be flying from Newcastle either way, although if we go with BA via Heathrow we can hopefully check our suitcases all the way through from Newcastle.

On the other hand I've been hearing good reports about Emirates and if we go with Emirates we can fly via Gatwick (& we've been to Gatwick airport the last couple of years so know what to expect etc.)

Thanks for your help

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

Hi,

I don't know about BA but have just flown Emirates and my back will never recover - I've actually got a visibly bruise. It was a 3 something with 2 -3- 2 seating and was the most uncomfortable journey of my life but taller people may be ok. The lumber support in the seat couldn't have been in a worse place for me (5' 2").

The food in economy was surprisingly edible I thought on the whole and the free vodka helped numb things a bit.

Hope this helps

Andi

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

2-3-2 is business class seating.

So if you were seated there, it could have been an upgrade or them using their business class cabin as economy.

Economy in emirates is 2-4-2 on their airbus or 3-4-3 on their boeing aircraft.

Think the best place to get airline reviews is - http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

What about flight times - which carrier gives you longest in Dubai? If similar, then the GBP 40 swings it to Emirates as there's not a lot of difference between them at the back of the plane.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

Technically, they are both of the same standard. There was a thread on here called (I think) Emirates Air or something like that. Ignoring all the abuse contained therein (!!), you will also find quite a lot of useful information. Personally, I prefer BA, but that's just my choice. I find EK tries to get a few extra rows in (perhaps that's why they're forty squid cheaper!). But I have had good flights with Emirates too. I think BB is right, perhaps it just comes down to whichever is more convenient in the long run, but do check back on the thread I mentioned above.

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

Strangely, BA is showing as having a shorter seat pitch than Emirates. I haven't noticed any tangible difference between the two really.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

Go Emirates!

Support Local Business!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

If Qatar Airways is an option........grab it!!

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

I've flown on both BA and Emirates, but not the London-Dubai line. I think Emirates has a better service and I feel more comfortable on Emirates seats. The most important is, I think, if you are travelling on first class, BA would be better, but if you are travelling on economy, Emirates would be better. I would go for Emirates.

cardiff
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

BA ME ,

The main reason being the fight times .

They leave Heathrow at 9.45 pm every night ,so you arrive at 7.30 am the next day , therefore get a full day at your hotel ( ive done this 4 times now and have always been allowed early checkin without costs ).

Also , you know on your last day you have to check out at midday , if you book the 1.45 am flight the next morning you get a full extra day and you should be able to use the hotels facilities.

We are fortunate and stay our last few days at the Burj and they are more than happy to let us use all the facilities whilst they store our bags.We generally leave the hotel at about 10.30ish pm.

This way you get an extra night (so to speak ) but dont pay for it.

And i have noticed the flights i mention , normally are the cheapest.

The entertainment is very good too, loadsa movie channels etc and decent service and free drinks .

This is my opinion , but cant give you a comparison, but rest assured , if i wasnt happy with BA i wouldnt use them , and ive just booked to go again with them in Mid Sept.

Tony

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is best - Emirates or BA?

I can not fault the service, food, etc, but if you are tall like me 1.88 you will have a very uncomfortable trip. We travelled from SA to Dubai in the 340-400 and I had one of those assholes in front of me who believe it is their right to fully recline the seat after take-off. Yes the seats are too close and the BA 747 is much more comfortable. I suggest the following: go to the emirates website- fleet- seat layout. Choose the seats behind the toilets or at the back. As far as I can remember we identified them as row 16 and 27 depending on aircraft.