We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Dubai Aussie expat contacts

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Seeking Dubai Aussie expat contacts

G-Day. My husband and I are 31 and 28 and currently live in Melbourne with our 5 year old daughter and are looking at a possible move to Dubai early next year. I am looking for Aussie expat contacts living in Dubai who are of a similar age/family situation to befriend and subsequently grill for information!

At this stage Jumeirah is looking good as a prospect to live and I've heard there are huge wait lists for schools? This being the case, could someone please let me know which Primary School(s) the majority of Aussie's send their kids to in the Jumeirah area, so that we can get our daughter on the wait lists asap?

Any info re: moves to Dubai, things to know/avoid/positives/real estate agents to use/pros and cons of appts vs villas etc is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,764 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
dubai
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Dubai Aussie expat contacts

Hi there,

I see your message is from last year so hope you made the move ok, I am an aussie expat also from melbourne and have been living in Dubai for 6 years now, my boyfriend is a real estate agent so if your still having problems with housing arrangements, email him on grdodd46@hotmail.com. Hope its all going well....contact me if you need any further info.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Dubai Aussie expat contacts

Blonski - you need to find out which schools follow the Ozzie education system here. I think it International Bacsomething (can't spell it - sorry BB!). Many of the schools following the english education system which won't help your child when you go home. If you are coming here early next year, you are unlikely to get your child into school till the next school year, which will begin in September 2006. To find out which schools follow the system you need, contact the Australian Consulate as they will have a list along with all the telephone/fax, etc. details. Schools open again in September for the new term but the offices will be open now. You need to hurry, everything you've heard is true. If you are lucky enough to find a school to take your daughter in January, they will need copies of parents' passports, child's passports, school reports and oh yes - money! Check out the Gulf News website (we can't give urls on here, they get removed). There's also an Expat Mums website and another called Expatwoman. You may find them interesting to browse.

Accommodation - wherever you live - and you won't find many apartments to rent in Jumeirah (it's mainly villas there), you will have to pay upfront. Aside from deposits with the landlord and DEWA (water and electricity), you will need two or three cheques postdated to cover the rent. Hopefully, your husband's company will be prepared for this. If they are bringing you over, then they should give you somewhere to live temporarily. Hang out for agreement on the longest possible time on this so that you don't rush into anything accommodation-wise. If you can get a month out of them - go for it. You need to drive around, consider rush hour traffic to get to where it is you need to go to, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,764 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Dubai Aussie expat contacts

Pack them off to boarding school in Australia so they don't invade the JBH and pee in the pools.