We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
1 post
Save Topic
dress code

what sort of clothes can you wear when you go out to the shopping malls and restuarant areas. as I have teenager daughters visiting dubai.

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: dress code

Time for bed said Beduboy.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: dress code

Society does not dictate anything.

Dubai is a free place - dress how you want, do want you want - so long as you dont break any rules - and even if you, its very lenient.

So if we were to stand 7 girls and put you in there, would u stand out - cause your hair was green?

or your nails black?

if that is the case then defnt the rest of the people who look different and are not used to such sights - WILL STARE....

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: dress code

Burt

Good night old man....

england
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: dress code

i think ppl r ppl and they will stare no matter wat because curiosity is the desease of the human mind

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: dress code

I have lived and worked here for seven years. There is a real mix of nationalities here (and yes, I would agree with BB that the term "local" is used to describe an Emirati, who holds a UAE passport). The majority of expats here (and I use that word to describe everyone who was not born here, because that's what we are regardless of which part of the world we come from, even if it is another Arab country and even if we were born here) are actually from South Asia and are blue collar workers. And, believe you me, there are an awful lot of them. If you want to place a label on "someone", they are probably the worst "offenders" for staring - they are here as single men, go home (if they are lucky) once a year but for the majority it's actually once every two years. They do not come into contact with women as a rule and it's really not surprising that they stare. On their day off - Friday, they have nothing else to do but to visit malls and wander round (Ibn Battuta is one of their worst affected at the moment) because it's indoors and it's cool and they have no other form of entertainment. Having said this, other races will also stare. It's just something that happens here. It will happen no matter how you dress. BUT to dress appropriately bearing in mind that this is a muslim country is another issue. I always try to bear in mind where i live (and I have said this before) but when I go out in the evenings, I dress however I want to (including low cut tops!) as I am going to places where it is not out of place! Personally I would be too cold to walk round a mall wearing shorts, etc. and I always cover my shoulders for similar reasons. Essay is almost over - if you do travel to Sharjah, be very aware that they have a very strict dress code, which Beduboy has covered in here. This code is actually enforced by the police. If you are visiting and have any doubts, ask your hotel. Challas! That's finished/over in Arabic, but i may have spelt it incorrectly!

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: dress code

Khalas!

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: dress code

correction appreciated and hopefully the subject will die too!