We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code and currency

Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code and currency

As i'm a "Dubai Virgin" whats the normal dress code for the restuarants in the Madinat Complex ??? Do you have to wear trousers or are (smart) jeans ok ??

Also what currency should I take - there seems to be split opinion between GBP and US$

If i dine anywhere within the Madinat can I put the bill to my room ??

Cheers for any help.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code and currency

Can't help with the dress code as I've never stayed there, as for currency stick with GBP and change some at the airport where you'll get better rates than in the UK. I usually change around 200 GBP but never use it all as I stick as much as I can on my credit card.

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
880 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code and currency

I stayed at the Al Qasr in June and smart jeans are definately ok in the Madinat complex. If you are staying at one of the hotels in the Madinat you can charge drinks and food etc to your room. You can also charge to your room if you eat or drink at the Jumeirah beach hotel. On their website you can join the loyalty programme Sirius. For every $3.00 or currency equivalent charged to your room you are given a point. These can be exchanged on future visits for room upgrades and even free rooms so worth doing. Hope this helps.

cardiff
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code and currency

Best exchange here is MARKS AND SPENCER ,yeah i know it sounds corny but i always shop around and they are the best for Dirhams ,euro's and dollars for the last 2/3 years.

Also if you eat/ buy stuff in the Madinat Souk restaurants,Wild Wadi ,Burj, Jumeriah Beach Hotel you can charge the bill to your room in the Mina or Al Qsar or Dar Al Maysaf.

Casual dress ....i saw some guys in the Al Mahara seafoodin the Burj Al Arab which has a strict semi formal code which includes wearing a jacket throughout dinner with jeans on last week so think that most places will let you in with them.

Tony

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code and currency

When I was there last time and I ate at the resturant on the top floor of the Burj, Darius from pop idol was there and he had jeans on although if i remember most people would have a smart jacket on, bearing in mind the Air Con is quite fearce so you can get quite cold without a light jacket. My husband wore jeans most of the times.

Dubai
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code and currency

the dirham has recently dropped to the pound out here but if you do decide to change your money out here do it at a western union (biggest one in city centre mall, lower floor) but dont do it on a thurs/fri/sat as its the weekend and the rates are lower so you wont get as many dirhams for your hard earned cash!!

Essex
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code and currency

Hello,

I got back from Dubai about 2 weeks ago and we went to the Madinat complex for a meal and my boyfriend had smart chino shorts on and they were fine with it, obviously smorts shorts are not allowed but i think if you look reasonabley smart i don't think you will have any probs. although beware of the indian restraunt in the Mina A Salam they would not let us in with shorts on.