We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

Can someone please help settle a domestic please? My husband and I were talking about holidays we had years ago - particularly a holiday in about 1989 to Dubai.

(Some of the dubai newbies probably didnt think Dubai existed before their beloved over-hyped Burj was built!!).

Anyway. The Chicago Beach Hotel - was it or was it not originally where the JBH is now? I say it was, hubby says it was further down toward what is now the Marina.

Can anyone help?

thanks!!

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

HH - you are perfectly correct. Chicago Beach Hotel was bulldozed to make way for the JBH. The adjacent Chicago Beach Village was bulldozed to make way for Madinat. The reason for the name "Chicago" was, I believe, owing to the involvement of Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.

Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

Thats great to hear, thanks so much - guess he owes me a nice dinner tonight :)

Also interesting about the name, we often wondered where the Chicago link came from.

Now I'm reminiscing for happy days before Dubai became the Benidorm of the Middle East!! Full of supposedly well-travelled Brits who think they are sophisticated because they've now ventured away from the delights (?) of Florida.

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

On reflection, and I have likened it to Benidorm myself, I would hazard a comparison leaning more towards Marbella perhaps? You know - a "criminal chic" sort of thing.

Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

I know exactly what you mean.

Totally OT on the Dubai forum, but while you're here I may as well ask: have you eaten/stayed at the Chedi?

We have heard good reports about it from trusted friends (ie non-Burj lovers) and thought it may be worth a try.

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

Restaurant Name:

The Restaurant - The Chedi Hotel

Type:

Eclectic/International

Description:

As *** & I live but a stone's throw from The Chedi Hotel and are also keen to sample different dining establishments, we have been trying to book The Restaurant for months. Unbelievably, it has a minimum one month waiting list for a table. That, and the much touted winning of the Oman Today Best International Restaurant, Best Ambience, and Best Service awards for 2004 (probably equivalent to the Bombay Star winning the best restaurant award in the Aberdeen Press & Journal for all its culinary value) leads one to think that this is one special Muscat Restaurant. So, I booked the table one month in advance and managed to get a 21.30 sitting (painful as work starts at 07.00).

Favorite Dish:

The menu card is divided into 4 sections: Arabic, Mediterranean, Asian, and Indian. For Arabic, read Moroccan and Lebanese which is a bit of a misnomer really but there's no Trading Standards Office here. Mediterranean leans heavily towards fish dishes and pizza whilst Asian (read Thai), and Indian focus on the meat curries. The ambience is reasonable, albeit a little cavernous, and far from intimate. The 4 cooking areas for each type of cuisine is an interesting feature if you happen to get a seat facing one. Service was good with the staff being very attentive. In summary, I can only offer that the prolonged wait for a table is caused by the hotel giving priority to residents who would otherwise be marooned miles from any decent alternative eatery. It's good but nothing too special and, certainly, the Al Marjan restaurant at the Al Bustan Palace is equally as good and a more intimate venue for that meal a deux.

Prices:

US$31-40

> Currency Converter

Comparative Price:

more expensive than average

Customer Satisfaction:

Satisfied.

Address:

The Chedi Hotel

Directions:

Ghubra North, Muscat

http://www.ghmhotels.com/hotels/hotel_dining.asp?hotelid=13��ion=dining

Dubai
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

HH62 your making me reminisce from my childhood. The number of afternoons I sat on Chicago Beach Village jetty with friends etc... I love Dubai now but I really miss how it used to be.

Your right on the Marbella link Beduboy - lots of pretentious people posing, only some but it still there!

Knutsford, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick question for the Dubai "old-timers"...

I miss how it used to be too, which is why I dont come back so often.

The new flash trash culture isnt for me.