We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

My husband is in Dubai on business and I wanted to know what would be something that he could bring back, something authentic in Dubai..jewelry, pottery,textiles...!?? Any ideas would be helpful...Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

Just a few random ideas, I'm not sure how "authentic" these are but everything I bought back I love. I'm sure others will have some more ideas.

- Gold/Pearls (Dubai is known as the City of Gold and also for pearls)

- Copper coffee pot, I also bought a copper dish with a carved lid, lots of copper souvenirs around (like genie lamps, candlesticks etc)

- sand Art - different sizes & diff shaped bottles of coloured sand from the Emirates, we even had our names inscribed into the sand (big hit with family as gifts)

- Arabian perfume oils

- Dried dates - best Ive ever tasted

-pashmina's (shawls) cushion covers

- wooden carved boxes small to huge

My sisters fav souvenir was a pair of Aladdin slippers she bought at the Madinat Souk, lol. My favourite is the Arabian Christmas balls I bought in Karama for my tree.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

* Shisha (Hubbly Bubbly) kits are very popular and cheap in Dubai

* Abayas, Kaftaans and Arabic Clothing

* Arabic/Islamic decorations

Very little is actually made in Dubai - its all imported or resold as made in Dubai.

Whitestone, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

Thanks for all your information! It is much appreciated!

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

Personalized Name Jewelry is also very popular - its made on gold or silver for your name. Its very unique.

http://jewelry.zahras.com

5. Re: What to buy in Dubai that is from Dubai??!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 am, August 29, 2009