We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Dubai

I'm going to the Palace at the Royal Mirage for my Honeymoon in late July (I know, I must be mad to brave the heat, but I used to live in Kuwait as a kid and seem to remember that it's not so bad as there's always the air conditioned inside to escape to). Anyway, I've been reading the forums and have a couple of price related questions I wonder if you can help with. Firstly, tipping - someone said earlier, tip what you would normally in a five star hotel. I must confess that I'm not accustomed to staying in 5 stars, so if you could be a bit more specific about how much would be appropriate to tip, say, the porters, I'd appreciate it. European 3* is more my own experience.

Also, the cost of wine - if we're eating in a hotel restaurant, and lets say I go for the Homer Simpson approach of ordering the second cheapest bottle of wine on the menu - how much am I looking at? I'm just trying to budget for this...I love a nice bottle of Rioja and need to know how much spending money to allow for this weakness!

Hope you can help!

Thanks

Nikki

Uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Dubai

I'm not tipping anyone.

Only americans do this tipping thing.

Be yourself man, and stop trying to act american.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Dubai

I'm a girl. Wasn't trying to be someone else or be american, just to do what's right.

Uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Dubai

Well there is no law saying you have to tip anyone.

Personally i am being ripped off on my holiday to Dubai, so i take that excessive fee i paid for the hotels as their tip for the workers and all.

i won't be tipping anyone, even if my tache is cleaned.

But if i dont get the service i desire because my tips are non existant i will be the first to complain to the manager.

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Dubai

Type tipping in the search box above and click Go. Enjoy the reading. As a guide, budget AED150 fora bottle then you won't go wrong. Some places will be cheaper others more expensive. Otherwise, stick to the all you can eat & drinks. Fixed price - as much wine as you can handle. Type Time Out in the search box and click Go.