We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

My husband unfortunately got acute food poisoning at the FAIRMONT HOTEL from the Friday brunch. The hotel did not give a damn - they were patronizing in their response when I informed them. AVOID AT ALL COSTS my husband was sick for days - not good on your holidays

There are plenty of other great Friday brunch venues

Newark
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

I can only say we had a fantastic meal at the friday brunch at the fairmont and believe me we tried every type of food and every kitchen are you sure it was not the effect of too much Booze?

London
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

I fell ill whilst staying at the Fairmont last July and ended up in the american hospital for a few days and i have nothing but praise for all their staff and how much they looked after me whilst i was ill there, they were all genuinely concerned for my well-being and even sent a get well card to the hospital, so to hear that they werent interested is extremely suprising and maybe you are a little over the top in your issue.

I can not recommend the Fairmont enough and the restaurant at spectrum on one is something everyone should try out at least once, if not for the brunch then dinner as the experience is breathtaking

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

Hi gftraveller

Did you husband eat seafood at brunch? Seafood, in particular oysters and mussells can be TERRIBLE for food poisoning. This generally is not the fault of the restaurant (although it can be), just the "Russian Roulette" that eating seafood can be.

If seafood is bad/old/off, then you should be able to smell/taste it. BUT shellfish (for example oysters and mussells and clams, but also others) basically feed by filtering water. Sometimes they filter bacteria from the sea (normally originating from raw sewage - of which a fair amount escapes into the sea in many countries). The seafood can be VERY thoroughly cleaned, but not all of the bacteria is gotten rid of (especially when the seafood is not thoroughly cooked - like raw oysters). So, when you ingest them, you can catch that bacteria and get "food poisoning".

Sorry to sounds like an encyclopedia on this, but we recently had a a bout of a vomitting bug (or food poisoning or whatever you like to call it). Husband fell ill within 24 hours of eating raw oysters, I caught it from him about 15 hours later (because I had been clearing up after him). I don't blame the restaurant involved, it is just a risk of eating seafood (particularly raw).

If he didn't eat any seafood (oysters, mussells, clams, prawns or lobster etc), then what I have said doesn't apply.

UCC

U.K
Level Contributor
330 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

If it was a buffet, then you only have to have someone not wash their hands properly and spread germs on the utensils like tongs and spoons etc, and then someone uses the same and then eats, and thats it.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

I assume you've got medical / lab reports and samples of the food served to prove it was definitely food poisoning from the Fairmont and nothing else ?

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

See you've been posting on flyertalk as well with the same response

Dublin
1 post
7. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

Good day

Your are not alone in the "treatment" that you got from hospitality industry's one of the supposedly top hotels. There is a similar damning attitude outlined by a guest.

…blogspot.com/

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

"Your are not alone in the "treatment" that you got from hospitality industry's one of the supposedly top hotels. There is a similar damning attitude outlined by a guest.

…blogspot.com/ "

Gordon Bennett, what a huge fuss over nothing, life's too short !

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
9. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

Yes my husband did eat seafood at the buffet

That is my suspicion of where the tainted item came from. I did not eat it.

I travel all the time for work & again for leisure I value honest & open feedback from others who do the same so we may all benefit

I just wanted to alert others so they would not suffer like my husband did.

The reason I notified the hotel was to prevent it occurring to someone else.

I felt obliged to do this as I have a medical background.

I have stayed at the Fairmont - Nobb Hill San Francisco & they are wonderful

Luck of the draw

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
215 posts
10. Re: Food Poisoning Fairmont Hotel Dubai

I've replied to a related thread on the same subject that it surprises me that this sweeping generalisation is allowed here. With all due respect, I suspect I spend far more time at the Fairmont Dubai than the poster does and simply cannot believe that the hotel "did not give a damn". If the individual you spoke to didn't, you should have referred the matter to someone else, for management certainly would have done. This would have been a far more constructive approach than slagging off the hotel on various websites. It would also have given the hotel an opportunity to fix the problem there and then.