We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy cell phone

Brasília, Brazil
Level Contributor
16 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Buy cell phone

I'm going to Dubai next month and I would like to buy a cell phone. I'm from Brazil. Here we have the GSM service. I would like to know if the cell phone will work here.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy cell phone

Yes, UAE also runs on GSM and most if not all phones are not QUAD-band if not tri-band meaning it will work literally all over the world.

The phones here are also unlocked, that means its not like in the US where if you buy a phone from T-Mobile you have to use their SIM card.

By the way, are you flying here on the new direct flight from Emirates?

Im curious about the flight.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy cell phone

Yes the cell phones bought in the Mid East work anywhere providing you buy the option for tri or quad band.

They tend to have the latest models in the Mid East - usually ahead of Europe and way ahead of N America.

Brasília, Brazil
Level Contributor
16 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy cell phone

Thank you for the informations

West London
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy cell phone

Do you know if the phones are any cheaper than we can get in the UK ?

New Jerzy, USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy cell phone

Ditto. Is it cheaper for an unlocked phone than the US? Not cheap phones, but good, fairly new model, nokia, motorola, samsungs. What's the price range in Dirhams? And the place to buy.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy cell phone

I found the prices for Cell Phones to be slightly cheaper in Dubai - however, if you can get a VAT refund in the UK, it probably is cheaper in the UK.

sz
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy cell phone

We sell various of GSM mobile phone with ultra-low cost. If you need any help for GSM mobile phone, Please contact me. xiejane9@hotmail.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy cell phone

A slightly different question.

I have a GSM phone (Unlocked) so I can buy a local SIM card most anywhere in the world.

Is that possible to buy in Dubai?

Where would one buy a SIM card? (Airport would be ideal. OR - we will be staying near the Knowledge Village campus.)

Thanks,

Peter

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy cell phone

Put into Google "etisalat ahlan"

Then check it out.

I would have given you the url, but they have made it 200+ characters long and TA can't cope with a url that long.

Note you can get the cards at the airport and all the costs are listed.

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy cell phone

Thanks; yes that worked.

I found lots of useful info. Peter

SIM cards can be obtained at Etisalat Business Centres, the Etisalat kiosk at Dubai International Airport and at Dubai Duty Free in return for Dh90 and a passport copy showing a valid visit visa. Among the retail chains are Carrefour, Jumbo Electronics, Emarat, Adnoc and Dubai Duty Free.

The Ahlan SIM card is valid for 90 days and offers 90 minutes of free local calls, one free international call of up to three minutes and nine free SMSs.

For tourists, only "prepaid" (WASEL) SIM card is available. It has the same price of AED.165/- regardless of the place you buy it from. It can be purchased from the airport arrival lounge or any other resellers through out the city. But when you buy, make sure you instruct the retailer to activate it immediately. Most resellers sell it to the customers but do not activate it. It must be active within an hour of the purchase. Also, make sure you give them your passport copy or they'd issue it on their staff's name which may create complications later on.

SIM cards, produced by the UAE’s telecommunications provider Etisalat, are of two types. One is called Al Wasel, which broadly equates to the “pay as you go” services in some other countries. With these SIM cards, you have to buy pre-paid cards to recharge the phone’s credit. Once the credit runs out, you can no longer make calls and have to buy a new card for Dh25 or Dh40 to recharge it.

To get either type of SIM card, you can go to an Etisalat business centre with a photocopy of your passport - the main information page with your picture plus your entry permit or residence visa - and pay the subscription charge.