We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those that shop at Karama

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
For those that shop at Karama

I mentioned in another thread some time ago that I wouldn't shop at Karama.

Channel 4 in the UK has a new series starting tomorrow night ( Monday 3rd ) at 8pm called the fake trade. Presumably one of the shows will be showing the child sweat shops, organized criminal gangs and people smugglers from China, Thailand, Cambodia and Burma etc.

Enjoy your shopping !

Camel Company
Gift & Specialty Shops
Glitz & Glamore
Gift & Specialty Shops
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those that shop at Karama

Don't worry, I will, but not as much as I'll enjoy sleeping on a pillow stuffed with all the money I have saved from not having to buy vastly over-priced non-fakes made by corporations with dubious production procedures.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those that shop at Karama

Presumably you only want the fake because the original is " overpriced ".

Never really understood the bragging rights myself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: For those that shop at Karama

Saw an advert for this the other day. Already Sky + it.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those that shop at Karama

I don't get the whole thing (maybe it's a male thing?), they are fake, they are not the real thing, even if someone else doesn't notice the difference you know that you are carrying a fake.

In my (very humble!) opinion, fakes goods lack class and are desperate.

Again, these are my opinions, I'm not looking to stir and whilst I don't fancy being shot down in flames, I can cope with it ;o)

england
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those that shop at Karama

Hmmm I don't know where I stand on this one. when I went to Bangkok and Dubai I ended up going with a shopping list as long as my arm from friends who have asked me to buy them bags etc, my daughter is always on at me to buy fair trade tea/coffee which I personally think tastes horrible. I don't know if the fakes that are sold in the likes of Karama are doing more or less damage then the cheap clothes sold at Asda and the such both use cheap labour but then I think why should only the well off be able to afford such items should it be them who sets the example buy not buying the designer products to begin with.

I have to be honest I am totally ignorant with regards consumer friendly products so yes I will be watching the programmes to learn more about what we buy and where from.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those that shop at Karama

I'm not judging anyone who does buy these things, each to their own but if they're better informed by watching the show then fine.

I don't understand why people say they only buy it because the originals are so expensive. Presumably that's why they buy the fakes, because they "look" like something they can't afford !

Would they buy a fake Rolls Royce, Lambourghini etc ? It's not just fashion items, that plane you're flying on might just have fake parts in it. Had the brakes done on your car at the local garage ? They might just be dodgy pads or discs. Remember the fake wine a few years back with anti freeze in it ?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those that shop at Karama

I've shopped at Karama and I'll happily return there. I don't know if I was being strung along or not, but the last guy who was selling us stuff was explaining that much of his watch stock was made in Korea - not the usual place I expected for a sweat shop location!

I seem to remember Nike, Gap and others being lambasted for their use of child labour etc, so it's a bit rich trying to look down on us immoral beings who happily got to Karama.

You stick to your "fair trade" (another marketing ploy I think you'll agree) and I'll stick to my way of life thanks!

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those that shop at Karama

No one's saying don't buy at Karama, just be informed about where it comes from.

If you don't believe there are sweatshops with smuggled refugees in Korea or even in the UK then you're being a bit naive.

Need to get out of Burma into Thailand, Afghanistan into the UK ? Someone will help you for thousands of dollars and even let you work the debt off once you're across the border. Trouble is you never quite work it off and as you're illegal you're trapped and anything can be done to you.

It's not just about working conditons, presumably theft of copyright etc is just fine.

I had it years ago when manufacturing diamond tooling, we were a small 2 man business making hordes of money with our own products, each one hand made by myself in over 100 degree heat and dust.

One day we get a complaint from a mine in the USA that the product had failed and injured a worker. Luckily we could prove that it was some dodgy manufacturer who had passed their product off as ours. With the way the courts are with personal injuries in the US that could have finished our business completely.

Going into Hospital, how do you know the drugs aren't fake ? Once they're in the supply chain who's to know ?

Now please explain why you would want a fake in the first place ? Are you that desperate to look like you can afford something that you really can't ?

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those that shop at Karama

Not sure where I stand on this one either.... so am looking forward to the programme, but 'Fair Trade' isn't a marketing ploy. OK so it may allow a company to charge a few pence more for coffee or chococlate but at least the growers get a fairer price for their crop and dont get dictated to as much. I know fair trade isn't perfect but at least its a start...Rome and all that springs to mind...!

england
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those that shop at Karama

Oliver in all fairness to Devon I don't think she is looking down her nose at anyone I certainly didn't get that impression and like I said in my post I have been to Karama. it's illegal to sell fakes passing them off as the real thing so someone somewhere is having to work in secret to make them, this then leads to poor working conditions and cheap labour, they can not make them openly! I think we should all be better informed about what we buy and where we buy it whether it's fakes or the real mac Coy then, equipped with all the facts if we still chose to buy fakes then at least we are doing so with our eyes open.

I'm well aware of the principles behind fair trade Clipper etc but the reason I don't buy it is because I don't like the taste the same as I always bought barn chickens before watching Hugh whats his name and Jamie Oliver, through their programme I now have a better understanding of how these chickens are reared and so no longer buy them. I would rather go without. But that's just my opinion, that's not imposing my views on anyone as I will still buy my friends a handbag if they ask me the next time I go to Bangkok