We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unmarried couples

Puerto Princesa City
4 posts
Save Topic
unmarried couples

hi there, i just want to know if its true that it is against UAE law for an unmarried couple to visit dubai, much less share a room?

thanks..TOnie

uk
Level Contributor
885 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: unmarried couples

to beduboy- my boyf family live there and a british teacher (a friend) that is living in abu dhabi was not allowed to live with her boyf unless they got married there- so they did.

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: unmarried couples

Sam, did you not read any of the thread before posting? It is still the same in Dubai. There is no confusion between Dubai and Abu Dhabi - the law is very clear and the same in both states. So, what was the muddle you were referring to?

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: unmarried couples

Sam, did you not read any of the thread before posting? It is still the same in Dubai. There is no confusion between Dubai and Abu Dhabi - the law is very clear and the same in both states. So, what was the muddle you were referring to?

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: unmarried couples

Now look. I'm posting in stereo.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: unmarried couples

Tonie, strictly speaking, it is not legal to come here or live here as a couple unless you are married. HOWEVER (and yes I know, one shouldn't begin a sentence with that particular word), as others on this thread have said, it is NOT a problem unless you and/or your partner did something that caused a problem. The authorities tend to turn a blind eye to this unless (and, again, this has been said before) it is totally unavoidable or if a direct complaint was made about you (which is HIGHLY unlikely). There is no distinction in the law in this respect between any of the different Emirates. I would say to you that this not something you need to worry about in any way.

Dubai
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: unmarried couples

Its not that the government and police want to be mean to you but they thik it is a moral sin to have premarital relations, just as the Catholics and even CofE do. So they are looking out for your soul as it were...

Anyway Dubai wouldnt be as silly to put you in prison for having an out of marriage relationship if your western. Although colleagues of my mothers got in to road rage with a local and thumped him. they then investigated hima dn threw hi and his french gf in prison so its only in extreame circumstances.

Being a muslem is another matter - that involves lashes and all sorts!

Middle East
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: unmarried couples

"Extream" circumstances eh? Tell that to the Aussie bloke who languished in jail because the dozy trolley dolly from Emirates went to the airline's Muslim doctor to ask for the morning after pill.