We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Buying a ring - Do I haggle or not ???

Yorkshire UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help - Buying a ring - Do I haggle or not ???

I am travelling to Dubai for the first time soon and would like to buy myself a diamond ring.

After reading lots of posts on here I have sent a photograph to Damas who have said they can make me the ring up for me.

The price seems very good compared to the UK but I wondered if I should try to get the price down a little more.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Help - Buying a ring - Do I haggle or not ???

just read your request and just to say we went in to cara's today to see if they can make us some jewellery up. it is something my husband has been wanting for about 3 years now. they were fantastic and have assisted in the deisgn. obviously we have not got the finished item yet so will let you know how that goes we are going back in two days time. the price was fantastic but have not done any haggling yet. the item he is having made is with black onyx and diamonds. will get back to you once we have haggled and get the final product. will be back soon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Help - Buying a ring - Do I haggle or not ???

I agree re Cara's but my only advice is if you are having something made up make sure that the instructions are very clearly taken down by the salesman. If you are working off an existing ring they have, make sure the serial number is noted. Remember it is not the guy across the counter who is going to make your ring and so you need to make sure he has clear instructions to give the actual jeweller.

Wife has taken quite a few guests there over the past year and just recently we had 4 rings made up. What they came up with was stunningly beautiful and excellent value but in some cases bore only a slight resemblence to what was requested. I am due back there this week for my third "fitting" for a simple men's wedding band.

I wouldn't call it "haggling" at Cara's, more a gentle lowering of the price. When they get to best price, you know you're about done.

23. Re: Help - Buying a ring - Do I haggle or not ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 03, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now