We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
212 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

I've just come back from a holiday in Dubai / Abu Dhabi with my wife and my children aged 7 and 2, from the 6th to the 16th of August.

I write this report in order to share my experience especially towards who is asking or will ask the same question I had some months ago: is Dubai doable in August despite the very hot season?

Let's start from my final answer: YES! Unless your idea of vacation is based mainly on sightseeing and long outside walks.

This my detailed holiday report.

Two fundamental premises:

1) it is obvious that the best period to visit UAE is not the summer (October - December and March - April are the best in my opinion). But unfortunately for us the "long" Holiday are possible only in August, sor for me it was either August or nothing

2) I had been in Dubai for a couple of days with my wife in June some years ago; and not an ordinary June but, I discovered later, one of the hottest June ever. Therefore I already knew in someway what I could expect.

But this time was different, first of all because it should be August and because I had to travel with my young children and for a longer period.

The first thing I did in January was to ask for an opinion to many Tripadvisor users who I had read they had already been to Dubai in August with family,

Result: 80% answered that it is obviously very hot but at the end manageble.

So, finally I decided to book, encouraged by this 80% and at the end too attracted by UAE.

I find a very good rate from Milan with Lufthansa (1.500€). So folks, it was done, I had the tickets in my pocket, 10 days between Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the middle of August!

I will spend the months between January and August to check daily the temperature in Dubai.. until the Big Day comes, it is the 6th of August, the holiday starts!!

We land in Dubai at 10.30 pm, few people at the airport, in 30 minutes we have already collected our luggage and obtained the visa (at the immigration there is a dedicated lane for the families).

We venture outside, there are 106°F quite humid. Immediately in a taxi and then to the hotel very close to the airport I booked as logistic basis for this first night.

The following day I had booked a morning transfer to Abu Dhabi, our first destination for the vacation. We arrived to the hotel and had lunch.

It is 3.30 pm, outside there are 110°F. I find myself in the room with wife and children looking at me with a face asking.. ok, you got us here and well, so what do we do next?

I immediatley understand that it was the moment of the truth. Are Dubai and UAE doable in August?

I look out the window on the hotel's the swimming pool and I see many families relaxing and having fun. So.. unless the people I'm seeing are a mirage due to the heat the answer is.. Yes, it is doable!

We'll have nearly all the following 10 days of beautiful family time, enjoing the outstanding Arabian hospitality (I've written nearly all due to the Atlantis in Dubai, a 2 star hotel painted as luxury resort, for which I have posted a specific review).

Of course, as written everywhere it is necessary to stay hydrated, using 50+ SP, wearing flip flops because the ground is burning and avoiding to stay too much outside between midday and 3 pm.

But the weather we found although heavy it is less humid than Bangkok for instance.

For example on the same day of our arrival, at 5.30 pm I was playing soccer outside with my son or at 6.30 pm I was running (!) a little bit on an Abu Dhabi's beach kissed by a smooth breeze. Or, some days later, visiting with all the family at noon the Grand Sheikh Zayed Mosque.

So, if someone of you is asking the same question I had some months ago, I recommend everyone to jump and go.

There are of course some limitations in the summer, it is not possible having long walk outside or spending the whole day on the beach. But if this is not a problem, Dubai in Augst is absolutely doable. And otherwise it would not be reasonable the fact that many hotels are full of tourists.

It is not much hotter than southern Turkey, or Las Vegas or a humid Bangkok. As last remark, I found Abu Dhabi less humid then Dubai.

This was my experience, feel free to contact me also with private emails.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
8 replies to this topic
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

Thank you so much for sharing your trip report, this has made me feel less anxious about the heat as I'm travelling to Dubai in 48 hours with kids youngest being 9 and 5.

Now just need to finish the packing !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
963 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

The good news for rh1977 is that we are experiencing a "cool wave", or lets says a 'less heat wave", haha!

Last evening it was around 33/34 C, which is the lowest temp at 10 pm since mid June.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
963 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

Catching on Doledes' point In general, Abu Dhabi, at least the downtown part and Yas tends to be more humid than Dubai, but last few days, the reverse was true.

Than you for a good trip report, and hope you get to enjoy Dubai again in the winter months, when it really comes to life

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Dubai
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

I cannot find your review about atlantis.. please share as I am planning on staying there next year. Thanks in advance

Edited: 4:32 am, August 20, 2017
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
212 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

@Em P: I've sent the review to TA but it is still to be approved, it will be posted in a few days as usuall.

@Rover 82: thank you for the details about the humidity level in Abu Dhabi, I was prepared to find AD more humid than Dubai, now I've understood why I've found an opposite situation

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Dubai
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

Thanks for the review. I confirm, we did in July a round trip through the UAE. Absolutely a great and unforgrttable experience. Especially Dibba near Fujairah in the eastern parts of UAE was highly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Fujairah
Fujairah
Emirate of Fujairah, United Arab Emirates
Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

I was in Dubai last week with my family (2 kids age 8 & 11) for a week. It was very hot but I did not feel it was very humid, it felt very dry. My friend gave me a good advice which was to bring bottled water with you all the time. I brought a small cooler bag full of cool water bottles which really helps. I carried a few litres around which we usually finish when we were out and about. We didn't do much of the old town but managed to visit some of the souks and Dubai museum. Dune bashing was great fun and desert safari was a lovely experience. We also used the metro to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai Museum
Dubai Museum
6,295 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dune Bashing
Dune Bashing
75 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,411 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..

Dubai copes well with the summer heat. I was out this past weekend in Club Vista Mare on the palm, and weird enough for this time of the year, we sat outside for 3 hours with the help of 2 outdoor AC machines. There were 6 or 7 other tables besides us sitting outside.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Reply to: Dubai in August with children: yes or no? My experience..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted