We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Its The Easy Orange Man

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
467 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Its The Easy Orange Man

Oh. no were doomed:

http://www.ameinfo.com/111774.html

Chris

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Could someone please explain what the "Easy Orange man" is? I gather its some sort of cheap accomodation?? Dont get the convo onto the "chavs" again, lol I just learnt what they were!

Nefertari

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
467 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Nefertari

Its Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of the EASY group of no frills, airline, rental cars. cruising and more recently hotels.

Check out the link.

Chris

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Well if anyone can only feel "special" because they can spend extra money and go to Dubai then there's a problem somewhere. What do you want to do, fence the Emirate off and just let people with a certain income stay there ?

If easy hotel can provide some sort of cheap and cheerful place to stay then all the better. Not everyone wants the facilities of a 5 star hotel or can afford to spend 150 -200 quid a night.

I used to go to Dubai 3 times a year but after looking after my Mother while she died from cancer I'm lucky if I can go once a year now. If Stelios produces rooms at 50 quid a night I can visit my friends more often. Cheap rooms and people on low incomes does not equate to bad behaviour, lord knows I've met enough badly behaved " wealthy " people in my time and people loking down at others just because god forbid they deign to wear a football shirt or have fun noisily sticks in my craw.

Dubai is planning for 15 million per annum hotel stays wthin the next few years, that isn't going to happen with plastic homogenous holidaymakers who somehow think they're better than others.

Il Mondo Tondo
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Devon I can see your point and I'm sure that the comments on here are not intended to make anyone on a low income or looking for cheap accommodation feel bad.

You are right about people with lots of spare cash----the new rich----not having manners or good taste either. I fully agree with you there.

However, the problem is that they then want to barge around all the more exclusive places and then go back to their "orange boxes".

This is not right and while no one should be excluded it is a sad fact of life that many do not have the manners or are not used to frequenting certain places.

I saw the same during our recent trip to the Grosvenor House over Xmas.

The prices were not cheap and the executive lounge rates neither.

However, it was often full of people with plates piled so high that it seemed they had not eaten for a month.

they were not using the lounge as a nice meeting place to have a glass of wine and a few nibbles before dinner but more like an alternative and cheap sunstitute.

The plates were piled high and we even saw some sad individuals take what they laughingly called "the kid's picnic" out in napkins.

Also the manners of some at breakfast was enough to put us off eating.

Finger food is ok but when it stretches to eating a fried egg with your fingers as some kids were doing and parents not batting an eyelid then it really does show that standards are dropping.

Another slob lying with his bare feet along a sofa in the lounge area.

You are right money does not mean manners and a certain degree of dignity.

Around the pool in the Royal Meridien there was a large element of conversations based entirely on where to get the cheapest booze and the bragging sessions of how much they had managed to eat/drink in the lounges the day before.

This is probably what the others are talking about and Easyjet does attract people who tend to be at the lower end of the market on manners.

Broxburn, UK
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

hi Devonsuk, seems like I may have offended you as I assume you are applying to my post when you mentioned about being "special". Sorry, if I have offended you, it was not meant. When I said I felt special, I did not mean that I felt "special" because I was able to spend a lot of money on the holidays, I meant that I was treated better from the hotels in Dubai than anywhere else I have ever been to. Tourism has not been so big in Dubai as it is now and hotels and their staff certainly know how to treat you. Maybe that's because they are treated by the tourists well, I don't know. I have been to the usual European tourist areas like Benidorm, Majorca, Tenereife etc. and "yes" we did have a nice holiday, but parts of it was spoiled by loud foul-mouthed yobs or people with no respect for others. You could never get a sun lounger unless you were up at 4 am or if you dared to remove a towel from one that had no-one near it for hours, then the abuse you got was not worth the hastle. When I first went to Dubai, I could not beleive how peaceful and relaxing the pools and the beaches were. No-one shouting or staggering around drunk and pool staff coming around with iced cloths and fruit kebabs and that is what made me feel "special". I'm not saying that lower paid people are all like that, nor am I saying the higher paid ones are better. Infact I detest snobbery. I am not one of those higher paid snobs. I work full time, infact, I have just taken on another job part time, but the only reason I can go on these 5-star holidays is because we very rarely go out and so I am able to save hard for these holidays. I feel it is something to look forward to and know that I am going to be treated special and know I am going to be able to relax in beautiful surroundings and just chill out. That is something I was never able to do in Spain etc. Yes, allow Stelios to open his hotels, we don't mind as long as it does not turn into the new Benidorm. I have nothing against people who will come to stay in Easy-hotel, just as long as they behave in a way not to offend other holiday makers.

I am sorry to hear about the difficult times you have had with your mum. I do sympathise with you. Actually, I know exactly how you are feeling. As well as working full time as a nurse and also a part-time job too, our youngest son has a rare illness which is terminal. He needs 24 hour care from us, cannot walk, talk,is blind, is fed through a tube in his stomach, has lots of seizures and "Yes" is hard work, but it is our choice to care for him ourselves rather than put him in care. Now you may understand why we look for peace and quiet and relaxation on our holidays. Sorry again if I did offend you, but I don't think I am better than anybody else, just the same as I don't think anybody is better than me. Hope this helps to clear things up.

p.s. my husband wears football tops...not in Dubai though!!!!!

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Maryjo: I don't think anyone could expect you to aplogise!

If anyone deserves nice holidays it is you IMO. You work really hard for them and look after your son and the rest of your family without complaining! And I for one know you are not a Snob.

I personally feel that no one on this forum is a Snob, I know we all carry on but it is only banter!

Anyone can go on holiday to anywhere and behave like a civilised human being and that is what we were all getting at.It doesn't matter who much or how little money you have manners cost nothing!!!!

Devon lets not fall out over this, we all love each other on here

xxxxxxx molly

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

so should I not book my trip to Benidorm then people ????

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Behave guys, no-ones falling out over this, I don't want to be sitting next to the family from hell anymore than the next person. Sometimes the written word doesn't always come across as it's meant to.

Maryjo, you didn't offend me, my reply was an amalgamation of responses after reading the thread.

It just seems that there's an assumption that just because cheap rooms are coming to Dubai the place is going to go downhill. From the comments of others so far it's the people in executive lounges at 5 star hotels who are misbehaving !

No-ones complained about the air fares getting cheaper which affects the cost of the holiday as well as the hotel so more people can visit. When I first started going to Dubai about 7 years ago airfares were expensive and hotels were cheap, now it's the other way around.

To be honest, when I go away I've got more things to worry about than whether everyone's wearing the right clothes, being noisy or their kids are eating with their fingers. Billions of people around the World eat with their hands every day if they're lucky and probably the same amount are being noisy when they're happy.

If you want to experience real noise, go to a womens dart match in a pub or a middle aged dinner party after too much Vino ; )

I dated a woman once who would probably be classed as a "chav " on here, council flat, worked as a courier driver and got a bit lairy after a couple of drinks. We stayed good friends and when my mother was ill she gave up her lunchtimes to come to my house and bathe her for me. Most of my other " properly behaved " friends gradually disappeared into the woodwork over the next 18 months.

Last week her neighbour in the next door flat died from a heart attack at 54, he and his wife were in the process of buying their own house and had plans for the future the same as all of us. He worked on the refuse for Exeter city council, was as noisy as hell when enjoying himself, always had a joke and a smile but no doubt would have been looked down upon by some people.

There are so many people going to his funeral that it's now been moved to Exeter cathedral !

I don't know about anyone else on here but I know when my toes curl up I won't have a send off like he will.

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

Ooorrr Devon that was really nice to read.

I don't think it is down to having money or not it is down to as most people have said knowing how to behave and in my opinion most of all having consideration for others, for example I would never sit in a restaurant and talk loudly (or at all) on my mobile phone or allow my friends to get loud and lairy in front of children or people trying to have a nice quiet drink/meal. To me there is a time and place for everything and knowing when and where that is is the most important thing, not what you are wearing or how much money is in your bank account whilst you are deciding that.

However the more money you have the more you can travel and or visit more places, therefore the more social ettiquete you learn unless of course you have been taught it from your parents. Unfortunately these days that doesn't seem to happen as much as it used or should do. Therefore cheaper package type holidays does bring in people that don't know how to behave as they have never been shown or been in company where they have been taught. After all we are all the same at birth it is just some of us get shown and learn and some unfortunately do not.

20. Re: Its The Easy Orange Man

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, August 26, 2009