We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Mtn. View
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

My wife and I are thinking about driving a rental car from Dubai to Muscat for a few days during our upcoming Dubai trip. Online forums have led me to think that this is longer possible. I emailed our hotel concierge and they said due to some restrictions from new Omani legislation that many motorists were being turned around at the border (Hatta and other points). As a result, most Dubai car rental agencies ceased providing documentation for allowing cars into Oman. I emailed the US embassy in Oman and they were not aware of any issue. I spoke with the Oman embassy in the US and they too were not aware of an issue. I called the Oman embassy in Dubai (multiple times) and no one picked up. I spoke with a Hertz car rental agency in Dubai and they said that new legislation in Oman required so many hurdles (e.g. documentation and advance request) that the rental agencies decided to just not allow their cars in Oman for now; at least not until things clear up. Can anyone shed some light on whether any of these are the issue and if there is any solution for driving a rental from Dubai to Oman? I don't feel like flying since I want to see the coast line while having Muscat as the end point. You know what they say 'getting there is half the fun!' Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Best Seller
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,966 Reviews
from $67.40*
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
397 Reviews
from $43.00*
$48.00
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
136 Reviews
from $53.00*
$59.00
16 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Search this forum as there was a thread a while back. I think it's possible but not via Hatta... I think you have to buy insurance at Oman border and have a letter from the hire company.

Personally, I feel the drive isn't that interesting. I would fly and then rent from Muscat. The guys from Avis in Muscat were great when I arranged 25 Landcruisers for a corporate event. Or rent a guide and his car in Muscat to drive you for a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
963 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Budget and National would allow previously, Avis and Europcar wouldnt, neither would Thrifty for non-sedans

3. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, April 18, 2017

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Coastline ?

The drive from Dubai to Muscat is mostly inland and takes 5 hours.

It is a hassle as you are finding out and fair play to you for contacting all of those agencies, however, you can fly to Muscat from Dubai in one hour, hire a car when you get there and explore as much coastline as you want.

That would seem to be a much more sensible option and save you a lot of time and hassle.

Edited: 6:43 am, March 25, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

The drive from Dubai to Muscat is all inland and, even though the coast is only a matter of a few kilometers away, you will not see it at all unless you detour from the main highway. It is also a very boring drive, on a mostly dual carriageway, with a very high number of heavy goods vehicles and, once you have seen a couple of date palm and banana plantations/farms you've probably seen enough of them. You also have to watch out for livestock (cattle and goats) and dogs wandering onto the road.

We used to drive between the two cities but no more - now we fly to Dubai and hire a car if we feel that we need a set of wheels which is what I would recommend you do if you wish to visit Oman and explore under your own steam.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Mtn. View
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Thanks to all who replied- and so fast. I've read some of the other related threads in the forum, but unfortunately they seem dated given the new circumstances at the border. For those wondering about the coastline, it was based on a post by a previous traveler (link below). While I've read that one of the roads is busy with industrial trucks, perhaps the road mentioned in the link is not. https:/…

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,865 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Your call.

Do what you think is the right thing to do based on one traveller's blog or go with the views and experience of people that have lived in both places - HugeDXB and continue to live in Muscat.

As I say I would fly to Muscat and hire a car to do a coastal tour

Mentioned in this post
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
9,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

It sounds like a good road trip .

Lymington...
Level Contributor
7 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

Are Rental Car companies still refusing to rent cars for a return trip from Dubai to Muscat.

I'm planning a trip in March and it would be convenient to go by car with colleagues.

Edited: 1:58 pm, February 01, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
10. Re: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, May 14, 2018

Reply to: Want to drive rental car from Dubai to Muscat. Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted