We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

1 post
Save Topic
Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

Hello!

I am going to Dubai at the End of may to visit an old friend that is now currently living in downtown Dubai!

I am wanting to know if it is okay that i will be staying at his home? I have heard that it is not okay for men and women to share the same bedroom but we will both have our own bed and bathroom. Also, has anyone had any issues going through the airport/customs in Dubai?

Best Seller
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,968 Reviews
from $67.40*
Special Offer
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
399 Reviews
from $43.00*
$48.00
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
138 Reviews
from $53.00*
$59.00
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
963 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

Unless something goes wrong which involves LE, you will be perfectly fine.

There is a law on that matter, but is almost always, only enforced if LE is called for some other issue (fighting etc)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

It's illegal for an unmarried, unrelated man and woman to live in the same apartment or hotel room *but* it happens all the time. A blind eye is turned as long as you behave in a civilised manner.

You only have to worry if you come to the attention of the authorities for another reason so be sensible eg don't get drunk in public or commit other crimes.

I don't know what sort of issues you are expecting at immigration or customs? The short answer is 'no'. In the dozens of times I've entered Dubai as a lone female I've never have any issues. In the unlikely event that you are asked where you are staying then have a hotel name in your head.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

Good advice

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

As others have said, this is no problem whatsoever.

It will only be an issue if you and your friend go out for drinks and you get roaring drunk and start a big fight and the police are called. The police do not want to get involved with unmarried friends or couples and their living arrangements but if the matter is ever specifically brought to their attention via a clearly 'wrong' situation such as a public brawl on the streets, then they do have to act on it.

5. Re: Going to Dubai:American Female to stay at male friends place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 28, 2018