We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

1 post
Save Topic
Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

I am a filipino with an arabic script saying "God protect my family and friends, i can handle my enemies" and im planning to go to dubai this december.

Now my question is that is it ok for a non arab and non muslim to have an arabic script tattoo in dubai? We will probably go to a water park and i usually dont wear any rash guard to go swimming, im afraid that it might make any commotion with the locals. I know that they are strict when it comes to that and i also know that their religious police are also very strict, im afraid of ending up getting deported or arrested or somethind because of it. What shoul i do?

Thank you!

Europe
Level Contributor
16,667 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

Welcome to TA upon joining today.

Millions of people who are not of Arabic descent, and who are not Muslims, some of them tattooed, visit the UAE every year and nobody gives a care about the, or their body art.

Where have you read about the Dubai " religious police" being interested in tattoos which tourists might exhibit?

Please post links to the places where you found the sources of your mis-information.

Edited: 10:05 am, February 19, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,411 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

You should do nothing. Also no need to worry about your tattoo. Many people have tattoos in Arabic letters.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
978 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

You will be absolutely fine going by the amount of tattoos that were on show at wild wadi

4. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:01 pm, March 13, 2017
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
963 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

The OP's question is not as ridiculous as some posters are making it out to be ....

Yes, people with tattoos visit, but tattoos in Arabic, depending on the exact words used, may prevent entry to certain areas

The OP need not be concerned about anything major though ...

There is no religious police, but I can very well imagine a scenario where some clubs will prevent someone from entering "if" the words used are part of an Islamic phrase....

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

Nobody said the OP's question was ridiculous but it's another interesting first post by somebody who joined TA today and has so little researched their Dubai holiday they believe in a mythical 'religious police'.

I'd say this is very unlikely to be a genuine post.

7. Re: Arabic script tattop in dubai is illegal or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 21, 2018