We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeddah to Madina for a family with 2 kids

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Jeddah to Madina for a family with 2 kids

AsAk, I am embarking for umrah in beginning of July'2013 and landing in Jeddah with my wife and 2 kids, 7 years old and 9 months old. We are landing in Jeddah around fajr time. what's the best way to get to Madina from Jeddah, how much will it cost (bus/taxi) ? is rental car an option with a US driving licence.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,653 posts
1,881 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeddah to Madina for a family with 2 kids

You will not be able to get a rental car.

Get a taxi, its the quickest way to get to Medina. There will be a host of taxi drivers outside the airport terminal, you can bargain a price of 400-600 SAR.

Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeddah to Madina for a family with 2 kids

I am an American. My family lived in Jeddah and other cities in Saudi Arabia for more than 20 years. FYI, 400 to 600 Saudi Riyals is $125 to $175 USD. Make sure you agree on the fare BEFORE you get in the taxi. Also make sure it is the fare for ALL of you and not just one person.

It is a LONG way (over 450 miles) from Jeddah (airport) to Madinah, that fare seems awfully cheap. Make sure you have water and snacks for everyone--that is at least a five hour drive and most of it is unpopulated! You would NEVER want to try to make that drive on your own! The roads are very crowded and the drivers crazy! You would have to stop for gas and it might be hard to find. There are security check-points all along the route and with everything going on it could take hours to get through those, plus the drive time.

With millions (literally) of visitors coming into the Kingdom for Pilgrimage the authorities try to keep everything orderly. They do not want pilgrims wandering off and disappearing, so I am sure you will find the whole procedure closely controlled. When we first went to Jeddah in 1978, there was no control and it really was a mess. Pilgrims would complete their pilgrimage, get a job in Jeddah or another city, and not return home. The close regulation now reduces this problem.

The Kingdom should have special buses set up if you can find them at the airport. Look around the terminal for an information desk and ask them when you get there. You are obviously going on Pilgrimage, I am not sure they will even let you take your own taxi, they usually have guides that meet pilgrims at the airport and accompany you to Makkah and Madinah. The best way to go is with other pilgrims on a bus.

Edited: 11:19 pm, June 18, 2013
Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeddah to Madina for a family with 2 kids

I miscalculated, it is 450 km (not miles) from Jeddah to Madinah--should take about four hours--but still impossible for you to drive. I drove in the Kingdom for 20 years and would never attempt that drive on my own from Jeddah to Madinah. Take the bus and leave the driving to them. You still need to take provisions on the bus for yourself and your family. Also, I hope you know where you are staying in Madinah--there will be around 1,000,000 pilgrims from all over the world with you there. If it were me, I would leave the kids in the US--you will never see a more crowded event. There are so many people in a small area during the pilgrimages that if you faint you can not fall down. If you do, you could be trampled. Also keep in mind this is the middle of summer and the temperatures will be well above 120 degrees F.

4. Re: Jeddah to Madina for a family with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 20, 2014