We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

The U.S. State Department is warning against travel here and prohibiting its employees from doing so. straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/us-expands-tra…

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

Does that mean Obama's not coming here as planned in Setptember? I think not.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

It says the new road is fine for travel: "The Embassy still permits its personnel traveling between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng to travel on the “new road” west of Road 13, between Kasi and Luang Prabang, and along Road 13 from Kasi all the way south to Vientiane."

Are there public buses/tourist buses running this route?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

Thanks for the clarification.

I recently left Laos and am now back in Thailand. It was yesterday in Chiangmai that a couple of people asked me about this. I knew nothing of it until reading this morning's -Thailand- news

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
278 reviews
4. Re: Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

Sueisme - yes there are buses running both routes, but more on the Rte 13 road.

Also, this type of incident on Rte 13 north is the first for about 10 years or more so its a bit of an overreaction from the US State Dept.

Edited: 1:05 am, March 12, 2016
5. Re: Hwy Attack, Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 14, 2017