We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

new york, ny
1 post
Save Topic
Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

I am researching & attempting to fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang.

I have not recieved any replies from Lao Airlines regarding the flight, so I was a little concerned. Has anyone had any experience flying with Lao Airlines - good or bad please share.

Thanks a Million!

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

I would not fly with Lao Aviation, on the UK foreign office website they advise agaisnt travel on certain Lao Planes due to several crashes...you have two options...

Take a plan to Bangkok and the fly with bangkok air to LP...if time is on your side then go to Chiag Mai and to Lao border and take slow boat down the Mekong to LP...takes 2 days and crammed in like sardines on the boat.

Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

Hello!! I am going to travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang in January. So, what did you finally do from CM to LP?

Thanks in advance for sharing...

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

What utter rubbish. That info is waaaay out of date. Their planes are fine and on a par, if not better, than most of the other small airlines in SEA.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

For the record Lao Aviation flies old chinese built Yaks, old ATRs and no jet planes. As someone who has travelled extensively around the region Lao Aviation is one of the worst airlines you could fly on. Their safety record is one of the worst in the industry.

Be safe and go on Bangkok airways - all new planes and great service

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

I think the confusion is the Lao Aviation no longer exists. Lao airlines is flying exactly the same planes as Bangkokairways. The old Russian planes are no longer flying. In fact, I flew BKK-LP with Bangkokair, then LP-Vientiane with Lao and from Vientiane to BKK with Lao Airlines. All done on the discovery pass earlier this year.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

I agree there is no confusion....just reporting the facts....dont believe me...go check ATDB.com which gives you details of airlines fleets.

Bangkok Airways

Boeing 717s -All less than 5 years old

ATR72s -All less than 5 years old

Lao Aviation

ATR72 -20 years old

Yaks -Chinese Not Russian 15 yeas old.

No jet planes

So there really is no confusion....Bangkok Airways Fantastic...Lao Aviation...Good luck my friend...you may want to find Jesus first

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

We flew with Laos Airlines in May from CM to LP and all planes are fairly new. We were not concerned with safety at all.

Can't imagine why some posters would go so far as to scare the crap out of people - facts please, not rumours.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

Well said. No telling some folks is there?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

Here is some info form a previous post:

Posted on: 6:28 am, November 23, 2006 Report inappropriate post

I think it is true to say that Lao Airways problems are all in the past, and that their present fleet is as reliable as anyone else's.

We bought one of the Bangkok Airways Discovery Passes last September, and ALL of our flights ended up being with Lao. We had heard the rumours, too, and were -- as you are now -- a little worried. However, we found out that the reputation Lao had earned for planes coming down at odd times and in odd places was for the "old" fleet, which were, apparently, Russian-built planes. The flights we took, however, were all new western-made aircraft, and the service was in every way comparable to any airline we have flown on. Mind you, we used our Discovery Pass for what might be called "major routes" (two were international); we were told that they had upgraded all the planes on these majors, but that there might be one or two of the Russian planes left on some of the more "backwoods" journeys. I guess, when you decide where you want to go, it would be an easy matter to check on their website to see which aircraft fly those routes.

Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying or by other transport from Chiang Mai?

Hi, just to add my very recent experience (2 weeks ago) - flew LP to Vientiane with Lao Airlines on an ATR plane.

The service and quality of the plane was as good as anything you'd get in Europe ... except that they gave you scented serviettes, a decent sandwich and a drink on a 35 minute flight - you'd never get that on a budget airline back home!!!

On all the main 'tourist routes' including Chiang Mai to LP I would expect you would have the same experience and a similar new aircraft. Around 90% of the passengers on our flight were foreigners so they don't use anything dodgy on these routes.

I would fly with them again.