We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lao visa urgent question

London, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lao visa urgent question

Ive booked with a tourist agency to go from Chiang rai to Chiang Kong, then immediately go through immigration, immediately get a boat across the border and immediately get a bus to luang prabang.

I've now read I'll need US dollars. I have none on me at the moment and its 20.17 in Thailand so banks are closed. I'm leaving at 6am tomorrow too so no time to get us dollars. I'm worried that at the border there will be no time to find a bank and take US dollars out as it'll all be very quick. I don't want to miss the bus on the other side. What can I do?

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
LAO PTM Travel
Sightseeing Tours
Nam Ou Elephant Farm
Farms, Sightseeing Tours
Trekking Laos - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Authentic Laos Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,299 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lao visa urgent question

Hi,

Pay in Baht, you'll pay more but they will accept them.

Cheers

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lao visa urgent question

You will need to pay in Baht or pounds sterling. Yes, you will get a foul exchange rate, but this is the price you have to pay for not doing your homework.

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
13,080 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lao visa urgent question

They only accept US$ or Thai baht. Better to pay in US$. According to your nationality You pay between $30 and $50. Take only US$ notes of $10 and $5 with You! They always have "problems" to change You $50 notes or higher.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lao visa urgent question

This post above is not correct. Pounds sterling are accepted as are Euro.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lao visa urgent question

The OP has already completed the proposed travel so any advice for the OP is irrelevant.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lao visa urgent question

Does this preclude anyone offering advice for others who might read this?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lao visa urgent question

Rufuscat - not too sure anyone else will be in the same predicament as the OP ...but I'm sure you know best!

8. Re: lao visa urgent question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 30, 2015