We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

Ho Chi Minh City...
11 posts
Save Topic
luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

Dear all,

After visit LP, we want to go CM by bus. Can you give me some informations like as name of bus, schedule time, price, how long, any recommends about it. Tks a lot.

Ho Chi Minh City...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

Hi alls,

Help me, please. Tks for advance

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,699 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

I would recommend to break down the trip, as it is a very long journey.

You could head from LP directly to Huay Xai at the border, then stay a night either in Huay Xai or cross the border to stay in Chiang Khong. From there you could take the bus to CM (takes around 7 hours).

Or you could stop in Luang Namtha (which I would prefer as this alone is a 8-9 hour journey), then take the morning bus to Huay Xai (another 3-4 hours), before taking the bus to CM. again, it is a long journey, and if you have the time maybe add a full day and two nights or LN.

A third and slower alternative is taking the slow boat from LP to HX (takes 2 days), and then take the bus to CM

As you can see, it is a long journey, hence I would highly recommend breaking it down (would drive me crazy trying to do that long journey without a break)

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

If you have the time and dont want to add NL, than i would recommned you to do the 3rd option suggested above by Scotsman79. Personally i have done the slow boat back in 2005 and it was an amazing trip. You go fro 2 days inside the Mekong River and there is alot to see. I loved it.

Another Option you can do is the Speed boat from LP to HX. It will take around 7 hours only. Many travel guieds consider speed boat as "dangerous" and that was the reason i have taken the slow boat. However, i have read a post few months back about the speed boat and a tourist mentioned his own expersince and thinks its safe. You can read the post in the link below;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295415-i9321-k720…

Have a good holiday.

Ho Chi Minh City...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

Tks scotsman79 & burair. Im going from LP to CM by night sleep bus at 5pm, to HuaXay to cross the border & to CM by bus next. I know it a very long journey, will arrive CM at 2pm. I want more detailed info about that, of course. Tks all

5. Re: luang prabang to chiang mai by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 08, 2015