We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Luang Prabang
1 post
Save Topic
Help from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Hola to everybody. I want to travel by land from Luang Prabang to Hanoi but I don't know if this is possible. Does anybody knows? what about price and time?

If this is not possible would somebody know if it's a better idea to fly from Luang Prabang to Sam Neua (near the border with Vietnam) and then go by land from there to Hanoi?

I would apreciate very much any reply.

Gracias!!!

Alejandro

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Yes, certainly it's possible, but I don't think I ever read one positive report about the trip. We really wanted to do it this way, via the Plain of Jars, but reports (mainly on the Throntree forum) of 29-hour bus trips and people charging extortionate amounts to transport you between bus changes finally made us change our minds; we ended up going by bus from Luang Prabang to Vientiane and then plane to Hanoi (Lao Airlines, which has a pass which they run in assocaition with Bangkok Air).

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

We did this a while ago in 1998. We went from Butterworth, Malaysia to Bangkok, Vientiane, Savannakhet, Lao Bao border crossing into Vietnam, Dong-ha, and Hanoi. It was not comfortable, but it was definitely an adventure. It should be slightly more comfortable now, as the main roads are now paved in Laos.

The little motorcycle and tuk-tuk transfer requirements between the long-haul buses was annoying, and they did over-charge for this by local standards, but I believe we didn't pay more than CDN $6 each for our entire journey through Laos, which included these transfers, the bus trips, one night's room fee, and food (I can't remember about visa fees). Our problem was being stuck with all those Kip afterwards, which we were never able to get rid of.

Details of the trip at: surfacetravel.com/surfacetravel/…phase1.htm

3. Re: Help from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 14, 2009