We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Topic
Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

We will take a private boat, I read it will be less people to go upstream so that's good. Does it take much longer to go upstream? What about safety?

My husband does not swim and he thinks the boat looks flimsy. I am on the other hand rather looking forward to the experience.

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
442 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

yes there is a difference going upstream or downstream .... in time and certainely in price also, the boat will have to fight against the current so it will use more fuel.. I remember last year going from huay xai to luang prabang with " nagi of mekong" and the rate was 4600 thb downstream and 6200 thb upstream

? safety ... ... life is dangerous ... and you will see that it's probably more dangerous to drive on the windy roads in asia than to navigate on the mekong,

anyway we are not reckless and I would not take a speed boat. no problem with the slowboats and we will do it again next january

don't hesitate, don't think too much .. do it and enjoy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

Thanks globe. I apreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

we went downstream and it was an extremely pleasant experience with no safety issues at all. We travelled with the Nagi of Mekong who I recommend.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

Every year I hire a boat for 500,000 kip (plus tip when happy--and I'm always happy) for the day (around 9:00 am - 4:00 pm) and travel downstream. The boat seats 8 - 12 people, so share costs with friends. You'll visit four or five villages, plus the awesome hilltop temple, and see places most tourists don't. It's a steep walk up the banks of the Mekong into the villages, and many steps up to the hilltop temple. There are no safety issues. The Mekong is slow and placid, and the boats are slow and placid too. You won't be disappointed! Seek out one of the boat owners along the road that runs by the Mekong, and make arrangements the day before. Last year I paid half up front, but that seems perfectly reasonable. Pack a picnic lunch and have a memorable day!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

Thanks Peter. Where was the start and end point of your journey? Is there a particular company to rent from or are they more or less the same?

6. Re: Cruise UP or DOWN the Mekong, any difference timewise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 21, 2014