We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Avoca Beach...
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

I bought a thai silk wrap for approximately 60,00kip - 200baht. I am due to go to Vientiane, are they cheaper there? Am I paying a fair price or should I be bargaining harder? My sister wants some as a gift but I am finding the food here ALOT more expensive than northern Thailand so am fast running out of $$. I only have 12 days left of travel time so if it comes down to sticky rice and tomato relish on the last day its all good.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

Silk prices vary a lot depending on quality and detail. The cheap "silk" pieces widely available (about 1.8m x 40cm) are a polyester/silk mix with some silk thread embroidery, and can be had for $6-8 in Vientiane, so about the same price you paid.

A piece the same size of 100% lao silk with fine detail embroidery can be anything from $50 - $300, and more for a bigger piece.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

Are you sure it was silk for what you paid? Real good quality silk is very expensive.

Avoca Beach...
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is the polyester/silk available at the night markets. They are much nicer than the wraps available in Thailand and I am happy to pay prices that are fair for both of us. I have been to Ock Pop Tok and seen some fine examples of the embroidered silk from 20USD for a good sized piece.

Avoca Beach...
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

Yeah it was polyester blend. Found the real stuff and yes paid alot more for it. The synthetic blends are perfect for gifts

5. Re: Thai Silk wraps, fair prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 08, 2014