We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

I try to avoid posting such 'how long is a piece of string' questions, but I can't quite get my head around the options in Lunag Prabang - despite going through the places here on TA. We will be visiting in January, and need a place to stay for 2 nights. We are a family of 5 - kids aged 8, 11, 11 - so will probably need 2 rooms. Looking for something around US$20-40 a room. Would love to be somewhere close to a river, but still central. We prefer to walk to what we need to see/out to eat etc. Breakfast included preferably. Any ideas as to where we could stay? Or at least what areas I should be looking in? Thanks

Edited: 5:18 pm, September 07, 2013
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

I always stay at Rattana Guesthouse, on a quiet sidestreet away from all the tourists & noise. Right near the river & a few restaurants that prepare good food for locals...

http://rattana.laopdr.com/

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

Thanks for the suggestion. Will look into it. Any areas in particular you would recommend I look in?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

For hotels? SIghtseeing?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

Hotels, though the one you suggested looks like a possibility. Just can't work out from maps which is the area where we could walk to most sights.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

You can walk anywhere on the LP peninsula and are never more than a few hundred meters from the river at most. There are eateries everywhere so again no need to choose your accommodation on the basis of food.

There are a couple of areas where you can get guesthouses in the $10-40 range. One is down any of three narrow one-way roads off the main road (Chao Fa Ngum Rd) near the post office. If you find the post office or Joma cafe on this map (Grid Ref JE-200 near Phousi hill)

hobomaps.com/LuangPrabangCentralMap.html

then the three streets that head in the direction of the river opposite Wat Mahathat have a good choice of places that charge $15-40 in the high season (less in low season)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

That place is very convenient, not even 5 mins. on foot to the night market. The whole town is actually doable on foot, you can walk to all the noteable temples. If you end up at the other side of town and the end of the day, you can alwayd take a tuk-tuk back for a couple of dollars if you are too tired to walk...

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

Thanks for the advice :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

My favourite place is the Namma Vong Guesthouse--great location by the Mekong, just across from Wat Xieng Thong. Modest, but clean and friendly, family-run. For the size of your family, you may need two rooms. Tell them Peter Heron sent you, and maybe you'll get a discount!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

Peter, I had never heard of that place and I think it is in fact across from a place I stayed at on my very first trip to LP years ago. I checked out the reviews for it here on T_A and there were several reports of theft. I'd be careful recommending a place like that, or at least warning people who decide to stay there not to leave money and valuables unattended in the rooms. (That kind of goes without saying, but apparently people keep doing this!)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for hotel/guesthouse in LP?

Never had the slightest problem at Namma Vong, but of course when travelling it's wisest to store valuables in a safe! The family that runs the Namma Vong Guesthouse are happy to let you use the safe at Reception.