We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Lao Food?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Lao Food?

Hi folks

We'll be having a week in LP from this weekend. Can people suggest some good places to eat Lao food? I've done a bit of a search on TA but it seems French restaurants tend to dominate the threads and listings. While we are happy to eat at street stalls, we'd be happy also to find an LP equivalent of Vientiane's Amphone if there is one.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

The Japanese often bring their own food when traveling, forget the utensils. (I have never seen this either!) They are super-paranoid.

When I stay at my friend's parents' house in a rural part of Northern Laos, there are no utensils save the large spoon for eating soup. We use our hands. Wash hands properly before eating, as I said, never had any problem.

If you are ultra-paranoid, perhaps you should stop eating at street stands/in alleyways and eat at your hotel.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

"I think your, (sic), missing the point." - Eat elsewhere.

I teach lots of Japanese students here. None use their own utensils or bring them when going on trips.

4 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

Their is obviously some very delicate and precious people out there that want an argument over a very simple and common sense suggestion. At the same time they wish to rewrite what I have already witnessed on so many occasions. Truly amazing. It's as if I'm being called a liar. Rather insulting you know. Sure I can send you photo's and put you directly in contact with plenty of Japanese people that use their own utensils when traveling and eating off the street. One of them is still in LP as I write. Yet that would be going a bit to far and I don't need to prove myself to anyone. I would rather enjoy the rest of my holiday than waste my time with some of these silly replies. It's just nonsense and I did not add to the thread to have an argument. Only a suggestion after my own experience. I don't think we should take this any further. Sure some will like to carry on but I will not be reading nor replying. The world has far more to offer. Enjoy the rest of your lives, stay healthy, safe traveling. The end.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

Now, getting back to Lao food in LP. Have been trying out quite a few places, Have been popping reviews on TA as we go along....although I'm still behind on 3 Nagas and L'Elephant, will do them right now!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

food poisoning in some cases takes up to 72 hours for the symptoms to show so in the majority of cases it is extremely difficult to exactly pinpoint the contamination site, food etc. For some reason people always assume it was their last meal/experience that was the cause of their illness but any microbiologist will tell you this is incorrect. There are many factors and timelines that contribute to food poisoning so really impossible for one person to make a comment that a certain spot made them ill without all the actual investigations/medical examinations, test results etc.

Hard to blame the table, covered market - you may have accidentally touched a toilet door handle or someone sneezed your way during the previous two days to getting ill.

Bye the way we ate at the market many times as well as some of the restaurants around town. Lots of great places in Luang Prabang to try and enjoy.

Edited: 11:11 pm, August 04, 2013
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

I just loved going along the water front and looking at the locals eating and then sitting down with them and so doing just as they do. I suppose I am very lucky as I have a cast iron stomach. My husband unfortunately is a little more delicate but we never had any trouble and ate out every lunch with local people. So looking forward to coming back next year and doing it all again!!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

For a good quality Lao meal at a good price you can't go wrong with Pak Houay Mixay restaurant near Kinnaly guesthouse.

They have an extensive Lao menu and you always see Lao families eating there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,568 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

Should also add that on a few nights we also enjoyed getting takeaway food from the food markets just off the Night Markets. Some good somtam, smoky eggplant dips, whatever you want....

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

We usually had dinner each night at one of the restaurants down by the river, had some wonderful food of all sorts, some of which we couldn't quite recognise and just followed the 'sniff and point' recommendation.

Also loved sitting at a table by the river at sunset, having a Beer Lao and nibbling on some Mekong Weed. Ah, heaven on a stick. Can't wait to get back again.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Recommendations for Lao Food?

I lived in Luang Prabang and ate almost everywhere in that town. Tamnaklao is a good safe bet.

Overall, I had better luck on the Nam Khan side, one small place in particular was very good - Kon Kai.

I never liked Pak Houay Mixay, and it was often crowded with tour groups. I think Three Nagas is way over priced with bad service.