We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

is it possible to hire a driver? I'd rather do that than take one of those small vans or buses. I'm thinking of doing a trip to Laos in November or December for about 2-3 weeks, and then about 10 days in Cambodia, where I've been before. Did some research on Laos in 2011 but don't know what the prices are now. In 2011, a flt from Chiang Mai to LP was about $250 with Lao Airlines; flight from LP to Vte was about $100 one way. To hire a driver would have been about $150-$250 one way, depending on the driver.

I would really like to see all the scenery between these to places, and hence my preference to hire a driver. Can someone who has done the trip by road advise if the scenery is worth it, or would I be better off to fly ( I think it's an hour long flt), and then explore various areas around Vientiane, and make a side trip to Vang Vieng and stay for a day or two... Don't want to be in with the extreme partiers so would probably stay on the outskirts of Vang Vieng ( I hear the scenery around that area is great!).

Also, if anyone has ideas on current costs to fly or hire a driver, that would help in my planning. What is the best way to hire a driver - through my hotel or some other way? Thanks for any advice.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

I would suggest hiring a driver from LP~VV, and spending a couple of days in VV to see the amazing scenery there. The partiers used to hang out at the riverside, which is 5kms out of town. The area has been cleaned up now.

The trip down to Vientiane is only 4~4 1/2 hours (depending on road contidions at the time) so you can easily take a bus for that short leg of the trip. I am not sure on the price, as when I did this route I stayed in my friend's village one night and had the driver pick us up there the next day. Mail some agencies for quotes.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

Thanks for your response. Can you suggest the names of any agencies for quotes?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

I just had the guesthouse where I always stay book it. One agency I asked wanted to charge a lot more. You can always just wait until you arrive and do it, there are plenty of agencies and also hotels that have drivers.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

LP-VV will be in the region of $150-200 for a private car. There are many agencies in LP who can organise this for you - just be sure to ask in 4-5 places and bargain as the prices can vary wildly.

A Vientiane yellow taxi to Vangvieng for 3000baht ($100) - they advertise this rate at the friendship bridge and I've had it confirmed by my regular taxi driver. Going the other way though, there will be no taxis waiting around in VV, but you can easily take a bus for this short leg (about $6). The best scenery is between LP and VV anyway, not between VV and Vientiane.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

Thanks Maneki and bluecramp, for your good info. That helps a lot.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

I usually hire a car or van for the trip between LP and Van Vieng as scenery is stunning. The VIP bus from van vieng is fine as road is mainly straight. About 6 hrs.

Cost of car is around $180, to $200.

We have also got a few others to share a minibus. This still leaves free seats and the driver stops here we want. Was a great option. Not crammed full like others. You are in control and broke down to about $35 pp

Cost will vary according to high shoulder or low season

Good luck

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

We are going to Vientianne in September and have hired a private van from Vientianne to Vang Vieng (staying over 2 nights) and to LP to stay for another 2 nights before returning to Vientianne by plane. The cost of the van from Vientianne -> VV -> LP is USD300. I believe this is a fair price?

8. Re: How long a drive is it between Luang Prabang & Vientiane and

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 14, 2014