We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

Beijing
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

Hi all!

I plan to travel to Laos and then go to Burma via Thailand this August.

I heard that there is direct train from Bangkok to Vientiane, is there also a return train from Vientiane to Bangkok? Has anyone used this journey before? How to book train ticket in advance?

Here is a draft itinerary of my trip:

Day 1 Arrive in Vientiane

Day 2 Bus to Vang Vieng

Day 3 Vang Vieng

Day 4 Bus to Luang Prabang

Day 5 Luang Prabang

Day 6 Luang Prabang

Day 7 Luang Prabang

Day 8 Luang Prabang

Day 9 Luang Prabang to Bangkok (HOW?)

1. Luang Prabang FLIGHT to Bangkok? OR

2. Luang Prabang BUS to Vientiane then TRAIN to Bangkok

Day 10 Bangkok (DMK)

Day 11 Bangkok (DMK) flight to Burma

Any advice are appreciated!  

Many thanks!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,654 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

YOu may ike to investigate the Bangkok airways Discovery Pass - you need 3 flights in the region and depending on your choices you may qualify.

The train doen't run exactly to Vte but if you use the search box (directly above your post) you will find all the info about this route

Edited: 1:06 am, April 27, 2013
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

Hi,

Here are the details of the train from Nong Khai (the closest you can get to Vientiane) to Bangkok: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Bangkok to Nong Khai

You would save a lot of time by flying from LPB to Bangkok, several flights a day with either Bangkok Airways or Lao Airlines.

Cheers

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

Hi,

The best way of getting to Bangkok (BKK) from Luang Prabang (LPQ) is by air. Bangkok Airways fly this portion and the fare for this coming August starts at US$192 if you book now. Bangkok Airways will not offer the low fares, to be honest.

Bangkok Airways are also offering the fare for the Vientiane (VTE) - Bangkok flight starting at US$110 for this coming August now, so it would be the second best way if you take a bus from LPQ to VTE, from where you*ll take the flight to BKK. (Please note that Bangkok Airways fly to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, NOT Dong Muang Airport from where you fly to Burma.)

You can also go to BKK from LPQ by land if you have plenty of time and energy to travel.

First, take a bus from LPQ to Vientiane (VTE). The bus arrives at The Northern Bus Terminal in VTE. From The Central Bus Terminal of VTE in Talat Sao (Morning Market) take a local bus No.14 to the border on the Lao side (6,000kip: 45mins). From the border on the Lao side, take another bus to cross The Maekong River to the border on the Thai side (4,000kip: 5mins). From the border on the Thai side, I*ll always walk to Nong Khai Railway Station (about a 15min walk). You can also take a TukTuk or bike-taxi to the railway station.

There are also air-con international buses running from The Central Bus Terminal to NongKhai. You can check the timetable and fare at The Central Bus Terminal.

There are two night trains leaving NongKhai for BKK (daily).

Express Train No.70

NongKhai 18:20

BKK 06:00(+1)

Rapid Train No.134

NongKhai 19:15

BKK 08:00(+1)

Hope the info I*ve posted here will help you out.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
335 posts
528 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

I have flown BKK-LPQ roundtrip on bangkok airways. Flight time is approximately 2 hours one way. Bangkok airways also fly to VTE. If you are thinking of flying from VTE to LPQ, you will need to take Laos airlines or Laos Central airline. Have fun planning!

5. Re: How to reach Bangkok from Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 05, 2014