We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
12 posts
Save Topic
Advice please

Hi

Myself and my partner are considering a trip to Asia and as you all seem very knowledgable on here we are looking some advice and tips.

We are thinking about travelling to Singapore, stopping for a few days, then on to Bangkok. From there we want to go to Lois (Vientiane, although we welcome any other suggestions) onto Phnom Penh and lastly Ho Chi Min City.

Is it achievable is three weeks? Also we would be grateful for any info regarding flight times between places(if a flying is the best way to travel between places) and which airlines are best to use.

Any advice would be grateful as this is a first for us! Having looked through the threads on here you all certainly know what you are talking about and we look forward to any replies.

Many thanks.

ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please

Anyone?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please

I haven't flown between all of them, but the ones I have visited by air -- Hanoi, Vientiane, Ho Chi Minh City -- are all so close together that flying time hardly matters.... as soon as you take off, you're getting ready to land. You'll spend more time, in some cases, getting to the airport and checking in than you will in the air. Singapore, of course, is a bit of a stretch, but I can't tell you exactly, so I will leave it to more-knowledgeable posters.

Yes, you could do this in three weeks, no question. We had fifteen days, and saw Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Luang Prabang, Vientiane, and Hanoi, and didn't really feel "stretched". Admittedly, we spent only one night in Vientiane, which isn't big on must-see attractions, and another one-night in Phnom Penh... but we maximised our time there by arriving and departing by bus, which removed all the need for transport to the airport and the time-wasting check-in facilities.I presume you will travel from PP to HCMC by bus, also... it's cheap and can be done in half a day (we left HCMC at 8 and were in PP by about 1:30).

Lao Airlines was our preferred carrier.... only because they have a sweetheart deal with Bangkok Airways, and you can get a multi-pass ticket which reduces the cost considerably: last year this was $60 for a regional route, $90 for an international flight.

I think you will have a wonderful time... good luck with the planning!

England
Level Contributor
48 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please

We have been to everywhere that you have mentioned, but have stopped for at least a week, sometimes more, in each place on separate holidays. We usually arrange everything ourselves.

Singapore is clean, organized, and not a speck of litter or chewing gum in sight. Clark’s Quay is where all the boat rides and hawker stalls are found. Raffles is a must, if only to have a look. We like China Town and there is an excellent museum, showing the development of trading and the growth of the Chinese community. If you are a shopaholic then Orchard Road has many designer shops.

One place that we would not miss is Luang Prabang- it is beautiful. You can fly direct from Bangkok, then fly to Vientiane (or vice versa). There is a wonderful night market selling all sorts of crafts.

In Vientiane do not miss the barbequed fish stuffed with lemongrass down by the river- delicious.

We loved Vietnam-- the backpacker area of Pham Ngu Lao in Saigon was good for arranging trips and for buying things to take home. We actually stayed more in the centre in the Majestic (opposite the river) and The Rex. The markets are fun and you can buy handbags, shoes and excellent copies of shirts.

Bankok- our advice is either stay by the river or by a sky train station. Getting about, especially with limited time, is fairly difficult.

What is your budget for hotels? Are you backpacking or going up market? We stayed in some beautiful places, most were very reasonable, but not for the budget conscious.

We have written a series of reviews on Laos if it helps:

Luang Prabang, Laos, a jewel ringed by green mountains.

http://www.epinions.com/content_212779372164

Vientiane, Laos. Paradox and Pragmatism.

http://www.epinions.com/content_217881874052

The Plain of Jars, Laos. Shaken and stirred.

http://www.epinions.com/content_213614038660

Best wishes,

Gill & Tony.

ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please

Thanks Alan, Gill Tony.

Arranging this trip doesnt seem so daunting now! I agree with you Gill and Tony, Singapore is a beautiful place we were there last year on a stopover en route to Oz and couldnt believe how clean it was.

As for our Asia trip, well it seems that hotels are so cheap that we can allow a bit more for that!

Looking forward to reading your reviews later!

Many thanks once again