We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfert Luang Prabang -> Xuay Xai, best option?

Lodi, Milan
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Transfert Luang Prabang -> Xuay Xai, best option?

Hi everybody,

next september I will stay 3-4 days in LP with my wife, and after we will move toward Huay Xai (Thai boarder).

I know that we have 2 options:

1) Slow boat trip (LP / Pak Beng / Huay Xai / Chiang Khong), 7/8 hours a day on Mekong river, with 1 night in Pak Beng between.

2) Bus trip, Day 1: LP->Udomxai; Day 2: Udomxai->Luang Namtha; Day 3: Luang Namtha->Huay Xai.

Focusing on option 2):

is this bus trip possible during september (rain season, bad roads, etc..)?

I read that each part of this bus trip is 4-5 hours long, is it right?

Is there something interesting to see during the "one night stopover" in Udomxai & Luang Namtha?

Experiences? Suggestions? Is it worth it?

Thank you very much in advance for your opinions!

Kisses from Italy,

Andrea.

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfert Luang Prabang -> Xuay Xai, best option?

The roads should be passable all year round but get a lot worse during the rainy season. 4-5 hours on a good day I would say is about right.

Oudomxay offers a couple of half day cycling and trekking tours, and also some hot springs I think. Much more to do in Luang Namtha, with multiple tours and activities. Easy enough to spend a few hours wondering around town.

2. Re: Transfert Luang Prabang -> Xuay Xai, best option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 20, 2013