We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Laos

uk
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok to Laos

Hi have got 5 days in Laos in July husband me and 12 yr old daughter. Went to Cambodia 2 years ago so keen travellers. Any itineries welcome x any airline recommendations. Flying in from Bangkok x

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Laos

Fly into Vientiane. Spend the next day doing sightseeing. Fly to Luang Prabang, spend 3 days there. Fly back to Vientiane and spend your penultimate day there doing more sightseeing.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Laos

The cheapest flight option Bkk to Lao is Nok Air or Air Asia booked online in advance to Udon thani, one hour from the lao border or 90 mins- 2 hrs from vientiane.

Alternatively there is a clean comfy night sleeper train leaving Bkk every evening, getting to lao border at nong khai early every morning.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Laos

I'm taking the train to Nong Khai and rail connection into Vientaine, spend 4 days there and a Lao flight to Luang Prabang. 4 more days in Luang Prabang and then on to Hanoi with Lao Airlines again. Be sure to book online for cheaper fares.

I would think with only 5 days, that Luang Prabang would be your main center of interest. You can fly directly there with either Lao Airlines or Bangkok Airways - similar service (Lao slightly cheaper).

http://www.laoairlines.com/

Brazil
Level Contributor
97 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Laos

I agree with one of the posts that says that with only 5 days you should concentrate on Luang Prabang. Me and my husband flew from BKK directly to Luang Prabang with Lao Airlines. We bought the tickets at their office in Suvarnabhumi Airport, because we could not do it through the internet. However, we paid exactly the same price.

Spent 6 nights, 5 days there. The city is very nice, and there´s lot of things to see including temples, waterfall, elephant rides, boat tours. I have made some reviews on hotels and restaurants for trip advisor on the city. Regarding airlines, a dear thai friend whom I visited in BKK recommended me not to use Nok Air due to maintenance concerns.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Laos

If you are likely to have 3 flights in the area (Thailand, Laos,) you could also consider the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass. We used it last year and it saved us heaps. …bangkokair.com/en/…discovery-airpass.php

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Laos

5 days could very easily be spent in Luang Prabang (direct flights to Bangkok). Alternatively you could also spend a day in Vientiane as well. Flights from Bangkok are regular from Luang Prabang and Vientiane.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Laos

I would fly directly to Vientiane, spend a day or so there and then fly to Luang Prabang for the rest of the time. This option, while expensive, will at least give you a taster.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,292 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Laos

Didn't see Maneki's post. This is by far the most sensible opton. You won't waste time getting from Udon Thani to Vientiane and you will maximise your time.

Hong Kong, China
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok to Laos

I enjoy Luang Prabang's elephants, night market, bicycle tour and nice food...

Vientiane may be bit quiet for your daughter... Laos air is efficient but the return from Luang Prabang to Bangkok's bit early (07:35)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
921 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok to Laos

bangkok airways was good. their return from lp to bangkok is at 12 noon.