We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
921 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

first of all I would like to thank the forum members and ta for all the information i got regarding my travel. could not have made a trip without ta.

we are being charged 3,00,000 kips for private tour to kuang falls in the morning and 2,50,000 pvt boat to the caves once we get back to the hotel in the afternoon for 2 people.

Is this price ok? I tried to contact see (guide recommended on ta) for a tour but his nuber says tower not working. or are there other cheaper options. the boat tour will also cover the handicraft village. wonder if it worth getting to.

can we swim at the falls as we would love to.

Sa Sa Sunset Cruise
Boat Tours, Private Tours
Off Road Laos Adventures - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Motolao - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours
Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

If that price includes entry fees then it is about 120,000 Kip over normal cost.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

Seems very steep to me!

If you don't mind sharing a slowboat, many boats leave between 8-9AM. You can buy a spot on a shared boat from any of the travel agencies in LP. Some are open until 9:30PM.

I recommend going on the Mekong and going to Kuangsi in the afternoon when it's warmer and you might want to go for a swim.

The shared roundtrip van to Kuangsi departs at 11:30AM and also at 13:30 and costs only 50,000kip per person.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

PS--the shared slowboats to Pak Ou should only cost about 70,000 kip/person ROUNDTRIP.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

Now that I've digested your post more, I think you're being seriously ripped off!

The normal charge for a private van between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng is up 1,200,000kip or U$150 for the whole van and I cannot believe they want to charge you 3 million kips or U$375 for a 40mile roundtrip journey just for Kuangsi.

Don't do it!

There are travel agencies that open at 8AM and you'll still get on a boat in the morning.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

This price is too expensive. I agree that you should shop around and try and secure a better price. You don't even need to share a boat to bargain this down.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
921 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

well it looks like we were ripped because the 300000 does not even include entrance fees. we will do more research next time.

could you please recommend any tours with contact numbers as we are here for another 3days including today. we tried to contact see bouasysouliya@ yahoo.com over phone and email but in vain. we wanted to do the village tour for which see is famous for and if there is someone else available it would be great to get their contact details.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

Just negotiate with the tuktuk/songthaew drivers that offer their services along Sisavangvong Rd.

A return private trip to Kuang Si or Tad Sae falls can be had for $15 if you negotiate politely. Walk away if you need to - there are many drivers sitting around waiting for a job, especially this time of year. The petrol for the trip costs them about $3 max.

The tour agents along the main road also add a very generous profit into tour rates quoted and will almost always drop them down if you ask.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

we paid 150,000 in total for 4 of us in a tuk tuk. You don't need a guided tour to the water falls.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

we just found a tuk tuk driver along the street and asked him for prices, not much haggling. He then picked up another three people so we ended up having a great day to the falls.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to falls and caves tomorrow

Is it 3,000,000 kip as you say in the initial post or 300,000 as you say in this post??

We've just been quoted 300,000 for a private boat trip up to the falls fro LP and I'd like to know if its a rip or not.

Edited: 3:40 am, April 06, 2013