We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

I only have 4 days - arriving in Vientienne at 9.10 am, Thursday, departing at 9.45 am (from Vientienne) on Sunday (flight has been fixed). I would love to go to Luang Prabang (LP) to see the wats, visit Kuang Si Falls & Pak Ou caves. I understand there's more to see in Luang Prabang.

Appreciate feedback on the best and safest way to get to LP. Should I take the bus straight after touch down (and waste the daylight) or take the night bus?

Understand that VIP bus tickets are limited, how do I book online since I am not in Laos?

Hong Kong, China
14 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

Vientienne to Luang Prabang by flight takes only 35 min, and you could save 10 hrs in the bus. I like Laos air, as they seldom delay and always get off least 30 min earlier than scheduled

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: 4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

My family and I spent 4 days in Laos - our itenary was such:

Day 1: 6 am - we arrived at Vientienne from Bangkok- checked into a hotel and 7 am we were out exploring the place! Its a small city and covered most on foot and a map. Left the very night for Laung Prabhang - 7 pm was the bus.

Day 2: Reached LP at 8 am, headed straight to a hotel and we out exploring the main town - the monasteries, the local/night markets, art galleries, the museum, temples and restaurants. Again a small place and can be covered on foot.

Day 3: 5:00 am:We witnessed the march of the monks, headed to the falls and the pak ou caves. Had plenty of time to tryout the elephant trails around the caves, get back to the main town, try out new restaurants and laze around, boarded the bus back to VT by 8 pm.

Day 4: Saw VT for the 2nd time on foot, experienced a day VT style in the local parks, by the presidential building and boarded the bus back to Thailand by 9pm.

Honestly, the bus was not a bad idea. Yes, slightly lesser on the comfort scale compared to the buses in Thailand-Cambodia. The flights when we checked were pretty expensive and moreover we had the previlidge of time! 4 days was good enough!

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: 4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

Thanks for the write-up, travelbug. Very impressive that you packed so much into your 4 days! Well done!

malaysia
Level Contributor
153 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

Are there reliable local travel agents which sell laos airlines tickets online and payment by credit card? Thank you!

15. Re: 4 days itinerary Vientienne - Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 20, 2013