We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

I am looking for a hotel in LP that costs $40 USD per night or less. It should be located within a ten minute walk to the city center, and we need a private bathroom in the room. Also, a quiet location is important, and a pool and restaurant is not necessary. So many hotels get mixed reviews--I have never had such a problem finding a place. Thank you.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

Look at the Nam Khan side as it is quieter, tough wihin easy walking distance to the town centre. A place I like and often recommend is the Riverside Guesthouse.

http://guesthouse-riverside.com/

There are many others.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

For three years now I've stayed at Namma Vong Guesthouse, a small, quiet, beautifully located guesthouse right by Wat Xieng Thong. I know the family well--very welcoming, very hospitable. This is generally used by backpackers for brief stays, but I make it my home for several weeks every year. The rates are extremely reasonable--100,000 kip for an upstairs, air conditioned room (separate bathroom, with "shower hose" and toilet), and 80,000 kip for a downstairs, fan room. Nothing fancy, but the beds are comfortable, the TV works, and the hosts are wonderful.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

There are 3 streets of budget guesthouses which run in the direction of the Mekong near Joma & the Post Office, from about $8 upwards. For $10 you get a clean fan room with TV and ensuite, and $13 for AC - I use the Haisoke but there is a good choice. There are some others up to about the $25 mark on these 3 streets. They are only wide enough for 1 vehicle so get little traffic or noise and are 2 minutes walk from the night market or river.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

I'm there as well, my usual place is $15 per night for a massive double-bed fan room, and $20 for an A/C room...

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

Just wondered if it is common for hotels of the budgets above $20 & under to have a balcony? Or am I hoping for something that I won't find?

Thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

In Luang Parabang The Rattana guesthouse has a balcony on the 2nd floor of one of their buildings, most do not...

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

Hi Maneki-neko,

I just looked up the Rattana Guesthouse, and it has great prices. Do you think it is a good hotel? Do you prefer the "wooden" or "concrete" building? Thanks.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

I've stayed in both, If you want a balcony go for the large double room upstairs in the wooden bldg.

Last time I was there, this March, I was just staying one night in town so I chose a fan room in the concrete bldg. for (high season), it too was nice.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

Maneki, the big disadvantage of this place, (for me anyway), is that it is not on the Nam Khan side.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking Luang Prabang Hotel: Affordable Yet Clean

Why is that a disadvantage? I spend 5 hours or so with my head on the pillow, then I'm out seeing the sights/eating/drinking. Basically, it's perfect, IMO...