We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagi or Luang Say

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nagi or Luang Say

4 of us would like to do a boat trip from Luang Say to Houeixay in January. There is a huge difference in price between the Nagi and the Luang Say. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Is the Luang Say worth the extra money?

Thanks

Kellie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

we did the Nagi cruise in early April 12. We really enjoyed the two day trip which included overnight accom in Pakbeng (basic but adequate), two delicious lunches on board, two village visits and a stop at the Pak Ou Caves.

There were only seven of us on the boat and it was really comfortable with a lovely open air space at the front with elevated seating which was great to take photos. The guide Phet was a wealth of knowledge and spoke excellent English. Adisek the owner was extremely professional in his email/booking communication answering questions etc. We were picked up from our accom in Chiang Khong and helped with immigration.

I did an analysis on the Nagi, Shampoo. Luang Say and the public boats and for the price very sure we made the right decision. Luang Say I am sure does have much nicer accom in Pakbeng but the boats all looked pretty similiar when they are lined up against each other when docked.

The public boats were jam packed to the max and the people we spoke too were not happy with being jammed in like sardines for two days. It was peak season as lots of people were wanting to get to Laos for the New Year celebrations. I would imagine the public boats might not be as full in low season.

I travelled with my 14 year old son and the two day trip down the Mekong was thoroughly enjoyable and I would highly recommend.

The decison really comes down to your own finances and your expectations. Have fun and don't miss the trip.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

There are a few threads on people's experiences of nagi in the 'Top questions" in the top right of the page

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,086 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

Hi,

The Luang Say boat is a bit more plush, but basically the boat is pretty much the same as the Nagi boat. The big price difference is mainly down to the accomodation in Pak Beng, the Luang Say cruise uses a lovely hotel called Pak Beng Lodge and it's really nice and comfortable, whereas the Nagi uses much more basic accomodation. Having said that unless you are phobic about 1* places or guest houses it's fine for a night and you save a packet.

Cheers

Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

Thanks for your replies.

Kellie

Hobart
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

Hi millsie58 - what did your 14 year old think of the trip? I am planning a family Laos trip in November and wondering about the Nagi cruise with our 11 and 12 year old boys. I'm also interested in other people's observations of how other children on board enjoyed the experience. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

I always get him involved in the trip planning so he has input into what we are doing. This is the third trip that he and I have done through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia and we try and get a good balance of activities. For example we went on a full day 50km bike ride in Chang Rai which was a wonderful activity for an active teenager.

In our bag we had a Kindle book reader, an ipod and some playing cards which he persuaded some of the fellow passengers to play throughout the two days. I also had my laptop but I don't recall that he used it to play movies etc.

The two days went remarkably quick with the visits to the villages and the ever changing scenery. We stayed at Pakbeng overnight and joined the other passengers for dinner.

He never complained at any stage about it being boring, but being an only child I think he is fairly resourceful at being in charge of his own entertainment. He is not a child that likes to sit around and play computer games and would rather be outside kicking the football, climbing a tree or riding his bike.

Talk to your kids and see what they think. If they are kids who need to be constantly entertained then it might be a bit slow but if not and they engage the sights and history of the country together with the camaraderie of the other passengers then they should have a pleasant time.

Hobart
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

Thanks millsie 58. Sounds like a great trip. I think we will start our trip this way. I'm enjoying lots of reading on Tripadvisor and formulating plans. Lots of great ideas to digest. Very exciting!

8. Re: Nagi or Luang Say

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, June 21, 2013