We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Hi I haven't been able to find much information on here about this particular bus trip. "Uncledave"'s report says it's a really rough ride and causes motion sickness.

I was wondering if anyone has done the night bus that can answer these questions.

1. What is it like overnight?

2. Can you actually SLEEP on the VIP bus?

3. what's the legroom like? My hubby is tall but as long as he's got a bit of room for his long legs I should be able to talk him into this doing this leg by bus!

I was actually planning to avoid Vientienne altogether (and fly LP to Pakse) but have found that we know someone living over there who would like us to visit. :o)

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Another question to add to the one above. Are we able to hire a mini van with driver for ourselves?

There will be 11 of us so thought this may turn out more economical and also can stop and stretch our legs if need be.

Anyone know if this is possible??

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

"Hi I haven't been able to find much information on here about this particular bus trip. "

You aren't serious? There is heaps of information on this most common bus trip. Ys, the trip from LP to Vang Vieng is very windy; Vang Vieng to Vientiane is very bumpy and a terrible road at the moment. Yes you could hire a mini bus and driver.

"I was actually planning to avoid Vientiane altogether". Why? There is heaps to see and do there.

Finally, who on earth is "Uncle Dave"?

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Sorry sorry, my apologies.... after posting this question I DID find more information in the Vientiane forum (bus heading the other way) - I had been looking only in the LP forum.

"uncledave" had posted a trip report and mentioned this bus trip - most recently done it in the direction I was after.

Thanks for the info on being able to hire our own minibus and driver - any idea how much it would cost for that trip and how it would compare with bus tickets?

the idea of avoiding Vientiane was only because of time - our whole break is for 4 weeks - but we want to try the ziplining at Pakse - hence the thought of flying there directly from LP.

PS: Rufuscat - I so don't want to get you mad after seeing your profile pic! :o) hehe

thanks muchly!!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Not sure of the cost, though I know it is quite expensive. A number of posters have actually mentioned the cost.

The avatar is of Wotan.

Manchester
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Didn't do this trip overnight bit I personally wouldn't recommend it, you'll miss the scenery and I doubt you'll be able to sleep. I'm 6th and leg room was actually not too bad on VIP bus.

Edited: 3:06 am, March 17, 2012
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
596 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

A private minibus would be very economical for your group as I think they seat exactly 11 passengers. (can someone please confirm it is not 10?) I paid $118 from LP to Vang Vieng through a random travel agent I walked past on a side street in LP. It was one of the regular scheduled minibuses but we hired the whole thing. The journey was six hours of windy roads. It is a further 3 1/2 hours drive to VTE so I would guess at least $180 for LP to VTE which is too far for the driver to come back in daylight on the same day. I would strongly recommend taking the minibus to VV and breaking the journey there for at least a night. Then from VV to VTE the morning VIP bus is a good option at the moment as the bigger vehicle handles the bumps better on the very broken road from the recent floods on that sector. It was nice stopping for views etc in the minibus but six hours is quite enough for one day especially if there are 11 of you.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

thanks heaps for that information everyone.

Yes, AprilinVietnam, private mini bus to VV and then VIP bus to VTE sounds much more comfortable. Great tip thanks.

3 of the 11 people in our group are kids under 10yrs so a bit of a squeeze may be okay.

thankyou once again... so appreciate the advice!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

Yes the minibuses seat 11: 3 rows of 3 and 2 in the front - but this is very tight and uncomfortable with everyone crammed in shoulder to shoulder, even without bags inside. For 11 westerners it is probably less comfortable (but faster) than the regular bus, although you would have the convenience of stopping whenever you like.

I did just a 6 hour trip in one of these 11-seaters in the philippines a few months ago - your face is 6 inches from the head of the person in front and there is no space to move your legs.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

thanks bluecramp. I guess we can check it out once we're there and see what suits best. I like the independence of it. Since the majority of us are kids under 16 we should be okay I'm thinking.

10. Re: VIP bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vientienne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 20, 2013